Program directory cannot be deleted during uninstallation

Started by c_Wolf

I'm attempting to uninstall an old version of SoftPerfect RamDisk (3.4.7). I've gone through steps 1 and 2 outlined in the support instructions "RAM Disk refuses to install: how to uninstall completely".

When I try to perform step #3 "Delete the entire installation directory in %PROGRAMFILES%\SoftPerfect RAM Disk", I get this message:
"This action cannot be completed because the file or folder is open in another program"

Is there a service of some sort that I have to stop in order to delete the program files entry?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Program directory cannot be deleted during uninstallation   18 February 2019, 00:27

Most likely the application itself is still running. Open the Task Manager and
  • on Windows 7 or below: Open the Processes tab and locate the ramdiskws.exe process. Select it and click End Process.
  • on Windows 8 or above: Open the Details tab and locate the ramdiskws.exe process. Select it and click End Task.
If that doesn't solve the problem, this little utility called LockHunter should help.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.