How much RAM can be accessed by RAM Disk?

Started by Frank

Frank

How much RAM can be accessed by RAM Disk?   19 December 2019, 10:02

Hi all,

In some weeks I will get a power workstation with Intel S2600CWTS, 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2623 v3 and 1024 GB DDR4 RAM. I would like to use a RAM Disk on this machine. The RAM Disk should access 768 GB of RAM.

Unfortunately Windows 10 Prof x64 can only use a maximum of 512 GB RAM, and Windows 7 Prof x64 can only use a maximum of 192 GB of RAM.

Is your RAM Disk able to use 768 GB of RAM in Windows 10 or Windows 7 if 1024 GB of physical memory installed in the computer?

Thanks for reply and kind regards,
Frank
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How much RAM can be accessed by RAM Disk?   19 December 2019, 10:19

We cannot say with absolute certainty as we don't have any hardware with so much RAM to test it on. I guess, the amount of RAMDisk-accessible memory would be same as Windows permits. The reason for that is that our RAM Disk is using Windows APIs for memory allocation, and if a particular Windows edition has a limit, the API will not let it use more than that.

Having said that, I believe your information on Windows 10 Professional x64 is incorrect. Here is the official list of Windows memory limits from Microsoft stating that Windows 10 Pro x64 can access up to 2 TB.

I would recommend using Windows 10 Pro if you need to use all the available RAM. I also recommend downloading a free trial of our RAM Disk to make sure it definitely performs to your satisfaction.
Frank

Re: How much RAM can be accessed by RAM Disk?   19 December 2019, 10:29

Thank you! Yes, you're right about the amount of max memory in Windows 10. Ok, that means I will have no problems.

Merry Christmas and kind regards,
Frank

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.