Symbolic links to RAM disk

Started by Vanfear

Vanfear

Symbolic links to RAM disk   21 January 2020, 10:53

Hi.

When I'm creating symlink for Nvidia cache folder on the same disk:
mklink /j "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache" "C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\NVcache"
- it works.

It also works when linked to another disk with GPT and different cluster size (32k):
mklink /j "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache" "D:\NVcache"

But Nvidia cache files are not created when the symbolic link is to a RAM drive:
mklink /j "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache" "R:\NVcache"
The target folder R:\NVcache is just always empty (R: is the RAM drive), yet I'm sure that cache files must be written at that moment.

Same with USB flash drives. Nvidia is not writing cache files, but I can drag&drop any file or folder at symlink and it will be moved to the target disk of any type, filesystem and any other conditions.

I tried all different options with all available filesystems. It's just not working. So sad sad
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Symbolic links to RAM disk   21 January 2020, 10:55

It is possible that it requires some features of a complete hard disk drive with partitions, whereas USB-drivers and RAM disks are by default standalone volumes. Try ticking the Hard Disk Emulation option and see if that helps.
Vanfear

Re: Symbolic links to RAM disk   21 January 2020, 11:09

Nope. Same. sad
A question: what is parameter "<locallinks>false</locallinks>" doing in config file?
Btw, I do not need help if you have no extra time, I'm just playing with it as a hobby.

Just for your information: 2048k or 1024k cluster size in combination with exFAT can probably give users maximum performance when using your RAM disk.
It can be made as an option named something like "Very Fast 32k (High Speed\Space Balanced)" and "Extreme 2048k (Maximum Speed\No Space Considerations)". Just a "feature" for noob users, and to outdo any competitor software. ok, yes, thumb up
Vanfear

Re: Symbolic links to RAM disk - Solved   21 January 2020, 11:14

Holy F...ound a solution for my problem with symbolic links!
Removed Dr.Web Security Space antivirus, which was processing all disk access through its own driver.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Symbolic links to RAM disk - Solved   21 January 2020, 11:21

Thank you for letting us know about your solution. I am glad to hear that you found your culprit.
Antivirus/security products are indeed notorious for creating problems in software operations that involve driver/hardware access.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.