2TB RAM disk is slow to mount

Started by Chris

Chris

2TB RAM disk is slow to mount   28 January 2020, 19:33

Hello. We are interested in evaluating your RAMDisk product. We are currently using it, but noticed that it takes about 10 minutes to mount a 1TB RAM disk.

We would like to use this as the SQL TEMPDB drive. I've tried using an .img, and without using one, but it still takes time. We have this currently set to mount at boot. What is the optimal way to get this mounted the faster? I've added antivirus exclusions and hibernation has been turned off as suggested.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: 2TB RAM disk is slow to mount   28 January 2020, 19:49

From your message, it is not clear whether you are using a 2 TB RAM Disk (as specified in the subject) or 1 TB RAM Disk (as specified in the message), but 10 minutes is a reasonable time even for 1 TB.

Even though everything takes place in RAM, the driver needs to allocate and zero-fill a 1 TB chunk of memory. Dividing 1024 GB by 600 seconds (10 min) reveals that the driver allocates and zero-fills 1.7 GB/s upon initialisation. I am afraid it cannot be made much faster than that.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.