How to create dynamic volumes

Started by Robert

Robert

How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 12:33

Hello,

Pardon, I have read through the manual, but I still don't understand one thing: what exactly do I have to do to create a "dynamic volume"?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Robert
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 12:44

Assuming you are referring to Dynamic Disks, you can create these by first creating a RAM disk with HDD emulation, and then converting it to a dynamic disk in Windows Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

There is however little point in doing so, because the configuration will be lost after a reboot. Normally, dynamic disks are used for aggregated and fault-tolerant storages, neither of which really makes sense with a RAM disk.
Robert

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 12:46

Thanks for the prompt reply. What I meant by "dynamic volume" is a RAM disk that does not occupy a prior fixed RAM space, but only the RAM space it actually needs at the time.

For example, I set up a RAM disk of 8 GB for all TEMP files and downloads. But if no downloads are stored, let's say only about 512 MB are needed. The "remaining" 7.5 GB remain free, so are not used in RAM.

Or am I misunderstanding something about how SoftPerfect RAM Disk actually works?

Regards
Ann

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 12:49

That is dynamic memory allocation. I'm afraid it is not supported in our RAM Disk. If you require a product that does it, there is one by the name of ImDisk.
Robert

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 12:52

Thank you!
wink "Unfortunately" your RAM Disk software is by far more powerful! So I'd much prefer to keep using your SoftPerfect RAM Disk.
Hence the last question: is there a plan to add dynamic memory allocation feature to your software?
Ann

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 13:03

No, sorry, we don't plan to add this feature.

The reason for that is in it requiring a much more complex memory management, and a much higher chance of getting a corrupted file system when the driver needs more memory than is available. Our position here is that there isn't much joy in conserving extra space if it leads to errors, crashes, or instability of operation.

With static memory allocation, this is not an issue, and the product is much more stable.
Robert

Re: How to create dynamic volumes   08 April 2021, 13:20

I see. Thank you for your help and explanations.

Regards,
Robert

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.