Is it possible to choose which RAM module the RAMdisk will use?

Started by LostOnTheLine

I am running an older system that has 3 DDR3 SoDIMMs. The first 16GB of RAM runs in dual channels, while the last only in single.

I'd like to use a RAMdisk, but have it use the single channel area of memory since the small transcoding drive I'll be using won't even utilize the full speed of the single channel and I'd rather not waste prime real-estate that'll be better used elsewhere. Is there a way to accomplish this?

If I use 18GB of RAM before mounting the drive maybe, or is there a setting? I had a bad stick that I removed and I'm not really interested in worrying about replacing it as 16GB is adequate for my usage, but I'd much prefer to use the extra for the RAMdisk if that's at all possible.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Is it possible to choose which RAM module the RAMdisk will use?   09 April 2021, 14:30

I am afraid it's not possible to specify which RAM module to use. The Windows kernel API does not support this kind of thing.

Having said that, it is possible to configure allocation in a specific NUMA node on multiprocessor systems for better performance.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.