How to increase RAM available to a certain application

Started by Kevin

Kevin

How to increase RAM available to a certain application   14 September 2021, 12:56

Hi,

I currently have 40GB total RAM on my laptop. I am running a 3rd party software that runs simulations strictly inside the web browser; thus, the RAM available to the browser limits the simulation potential and obviously I want to maximize the RAM that the simulation inside the browser can use.

Does the RAM Disk provide for that?

What browsers does it work on and NOT work on? Are there any limitations for any browsers?

Thanks,
Kevin
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to increase RAM available to a certain application   14 September 2021, 13:33

That's not quite what our RAM Disk product does. What you seemingly want is to give browser more RAM, while our product instead takes some RAM and turns it into a disk drive.

I suppose the only way to speed up those simulations is to use a 64-bit browser and install more physical RAM. Having said that, it's worth trying different browsers to see which one performs best at these tasks.
Disk cache is normally on the hard drive, correct? And it is segregated by a pointer, no? So why not use RAM as a hard drive, by utilizing your software: take some RAM and turn it into a disk drive. Then it will just point the browser disk cache to the RAM drive, no?

In this website, they appear to use your product for this purpose. Are they misinformed?

Thanks,
Kevin
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to increase RAM available to a certain application   14 September 2021, 13:46

It really depends on how your simulation application works in the browser. For example, if the simulation is mainly computational, then it will need RAM and CPU power with little use of the disk cache. But if the simulation does a lot of disk I/O and keeps data in browser cache, then it will obviously benefit from a RAM disk.

For regular browsing, it is beneficial to move the cache to a RAM disk, so the authors of the website you mentioned are not misinformed. Every page you visit and its associated data is written in the cache, so having the cache in RAM speeds things up.

For your simulation however, it is best to try and see. Our RAM Disk has a free 30-day trial, which should be plenty of time for you to see whether it does what you wish to achieve. You can also have a look at our guide on how to set up browsers and other applications to use a RAM disk for temporary data.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.