"The volume for a file has been externally altered" error

Started by Claudiu

Hi,

I have a very serious problem. After a restart, the image file became corrupted and my backup software failed to take that image file while it was in use. I now have an error saying: "The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. Image status = Image header is corrupted or not accessible"

I tried recovery software, I tried mounting the image with a 4096 B offset, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
I realized that my image file was altered by a virus. Therefore this issue is not related to the RAM Disk.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: "The volume for a file has been externally altered" error - Resolved   16 November 2021, 11:16

I am sorry to hear about the virus in your system. If mounting the image file at 4096 byte offset did not work, it is likely that the file system was damaged beyond repair. Especially if what you've got is a ransomware type of malware; they can encrypt parts of the file in an attempt to extort money.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.