SoftPerfect RAM Disk
Skype cache relocation to RAM drive
Started by Dave
Skype cache relocation to RAM drive 16 February 2022, 10:43
1) Adobe Photoshop Scratch disk relocation.
2) Skype Cache relocation.
3) Visual Studio IDE temporary files location to RAM drive.
4) Besides Teams, it would be great to include other Office locations in the cache/temporary file relocation such as Word, Outlook, etc.
Re: Skype cache relocation to RAM drive 16 February 2022, 10:47
Registered: 10 years ago
2. With Adobe Photoshop, this setting is accessible from Photoshop itself. There is probably no point in using a RAM disk as a scratch disk as Adobe states:
By creating a RAM disk you would take that RAM away from Photoshop, so it will be forced to use a scratch file in the same RAM, but with I/O overhead.Quote
A scratch disk is a hard disk drive or SSD used for temporary storage while Photoshop is running. Photoshop uses this space to store portions of your documents and their history panel states that don't fit in the memory or RAM of your machine.
3. With Visual Studio IDE, as far as I know it doesn't make any temporary files by itself. Temporary compiler output goes in the folders specified in the project settings.
4. Likewise, MS Office doesn't use temporary files much, and when it does, they will likely be in %TEMP%. So it's best to redirect the %TMP% and %TEMP% environment variables to a RAM disk.