How to install RAM Disk on macOS

Started by V.P.

V.P.

How to install RAM Disk on macOS   27 June 2023, 12:18

Hi there, I'm looking for the installation process of RAM Disk for macOS. Would it be possible to send me a link? Thank you!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to install RAM Disk on macOS   27 June 2023, 12:24

The installation process for most macOS applications, including our RAM Disk, is quite simple and doesn't require any formal installation procedure. Here's how you can install it:
  1. After you've downloaded RAM Disk for macOS (.dmg file), double-click on that file to open it. A new window will appear with the RAM Disk app icon and a shortcut to your Applications folder.
  2. Click and hold on the RAM Disk app icon, then drag and drop it into your Applications folder (or onto the shortcut provided). This effectively "installs" the app on your Mac.
  3. To begin using the RAM Disk app, navigate to your Applications folder and double-click on the RAM Disk app icon.
That's it! smile

For more information on how to use the RAM Disk app, we have the Beginner's Guide and the User Manual.
V.P.

RAM consumption on macOS   29 June 2023, 13:34

Thanks for getting back to me!

I noticed that the macOS RAM Disk doesn't show the memory usage like it does in Windows. I've set its size to 1 GB, but the memory consumption is not showing that.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: RAM consumption on macOS   29 June 2023, 13:42

When you refer to 'consumption', if you mean the Disk Usage indicator in the RAM Disk application, it's important to note that when a RAM disk is created, it is initially empty. Hence, zero usage is shown. After you transfer some files to the RAM disk, the Disk Usage gauge should begin to reflect the amount of space being taken by those files.

If, on the other hand, you mean the amount of free RAM that you see in your system after the creation of the RAM disk, this behaviour is different on macOS compared to Windows. On a Mac, memory isn't allocated instantly after creating a RAM disk. This means that the available RAM won't change immediately post-creation. However, as you add files to the RAM disk, you will notice a decrease in the available free RAM.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.