Can RAM drive size be increased from 4 to 8 GB in an old RAM Disk version?

Started by John

We need to increase the size of our RAM drives from 4 GB to 8 GB. Do we need to renew our licenses and upgrade to the newer RAM Disk version that allows us a RAM drive of 8 GB? The version we have is 4.0.4 on one machine and 4.0.7 on the other. We purchased these licenses probably 10 years ago.

Thank you
John
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Can RAM drive size be increased from 4 to 8 GB in an old RAM Disk version?   03 August 2023, 09:35

Both versions 4.0.4 and 4.0.7 of our RAM Disk software should be capable of creating RAM disks of various sizes, including 8 GB. However, you need to consider the Windows version running on your machines. If you are using Windows 10 version 1809 or newer, Microsoft made changes there that can cause issues when creating RAM disks larger than 4 GB. To ensure smooth functionality, you will need a newer build of our RAM disk software.

Additionally, we have made significant improvements to our software over the years, offering enhanced features and performance. Therefore, we highly recommend upgrading to the latest version.

Regarding your license, as you purchased it 10 years ago, it's necessary to renew it to access the latest updates and ongoing support. To express our gratitude for customer loyalty, we provide a discount on license renewals. Once your license is renewed, you will be entitled to the latest version with all its improvements, ensuring compatibility with your current operating system and providing access to RAM drives of any size.
Just renewed 3 licenses. I'm trying to update the one on the system that has version 4.0.4, but it won't let me. The message I receive is "Setup has detected SoftPerfect RAM drive is currently running. Please close all instances of it now, then click OK to continue"
Do I need to uninstall my RAM drive?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Can RAM drive size be increased from 4 to 8 GB in an old RAM Disk version?   03 August 2023, 10:21

This means that the RAM Disk application is still running. You can access it via its icon in the notification area and choose Quit from the popup menu. Alternatively, you can open the Task Manager and end the "ramdisk.exe" process.

After that, you should be able to install the latest version over the current installation. If uninstallation is required, the installer will advise you.
Thanks for your help. RAM drives are working great!!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.