RAM Disk on a multi-user system

Started by Louis P

Louis P

RAM Disk on a multi-user system   20 November 2023, 10:43

At my house there are two separate users who access the PC.
My question is that after I install the RAM Disk software and configure it for one user, do I have to repeat this process for the other user?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM Disk on a multi-user system   20 November 2023, 10:44

In the RAM Disk app, the configuration is stored globally. This means that all users with access to the machine will use the same RAM disk configuration.

There is, however, a notable exception. If you override the Windows TMP and TEMP environment variables to point to the RAM disk, this action will need to be performed for each user, as these environment variables are defined on a per-user basis.
Louis P

Re: RAM Disk on a multi-user system   21 November 2023, 11:34

Thank you Andrew for your prompt reply. If I understand you correctly, when I configure the web browsers to use a RAM disk for their caches, these settings will be also be global?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM Disk on a multi-user system   21 November 2023, 11:37

Configuring web browsers to use a RAM disk for their cache is typically not a global setting that applies to every user on a system. Instead, these settings are usually user-specific. This is because web browsers generally store their configuration settings, including cache locations, within user profiles or directories that are specific to each user account on the system.

You will need to configure each browser for each user account. This typically involves changing the cache directory setting to point to the RAM disk, using symbolic links or our Cache Relocator tool. How this is done depends on the browser:
  • Google Chrome: Use the --disk-cache-dir command-line argument.
  • Firefox: Change the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory setting in about:config or use a user.js file.
  • Others: Similar methods depending on the browser, usually same as Google Chrome.

For systems with many users or for the ease of management, you might want to automate this process by using a Group Policy or scripts that is run at user logon.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.