Discovering IPs on Ruckus ICX switches

Started by Amir

Amir

Discovering IPs on Ruckus ICX switches   29 November 2022, 10:08

With the Port Mapper, I can't get all the IP addresses from my Ruckus switches. I have 17 switches and 6 VLANs on each of them. Some of them do display the correct information but not all of them.
Is it related to the MIB in the switches?
Do I need to configure read and write on the switch? Or just read-only?
Do you have any experience with Ruckus switches?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Discovering IPs on Ruckus ICX switches   29 November 2022, 10:13

It really depends on where the IP addresses come from. Since the switch itself doesn't know anything about IP addresses, the software can either pull MAC-to-IP address mappings from your router (if configured) or scan your network to obtain the mappings. The latter will work only in the local subnet.

What seems to be missing exactly: some MAC addresses, or some IP addresses, or both? It would be great if you could attach some screen shots.
Amir

Re: Discovering IPs on Ruckus ICX switches   29 November 2022, 10:17

Hi,
First thanks for your replay.
Now I understand that the router must also be configured to get the correct mapping. Does the software know how to work with VLANs as well?
Do I need to be on the same VLAN to scan its addresses?
Lets say I have configured my IT VLAN to see all other VLANs. Is that enough for me to see all the IPs and MAC mappings?

Thanks again!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Discovering IPs on Ruckus ICX switches   29 November 2022, 10:23

As far as I know, the ARP protocol that is used to map MAC addresses to IP addresses only works within a single subnet and within a single VLAN. So yes, you would need to be connected to that VLAN to get MAC-to-IP address mappings.

Unless you have a router that exposes its MAC-to-IP address mappings via SNMP. In this case VLANs don't matter, as the software simply pulls the mappings from the router. No network sweep is performed.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.