Montor all data usage from one PC

Started by hanno

Montor all data usage from one PC   11 June 2015, 04:52

Hey, first off great program man! I have been looking for this sort of program for months!

I'm using the trial version of BM and I am not experienced in the field of these sorts of programs. I have a setup that matches example 3, thus I have installed the BCS on each pc and used the following code provided by you in another thread:
1. Launch the GUI and connect to the first computer
2. Make a rule I provided:
combined 60kb/s, TCP/UDP
Source: local host, any port
Destination: any IP address; any port
3. That's all. Repeat steps 1-3 with the second and third computer.

So this is working perfectly except if I now want to see the data used by each user i need to enter their IP in the host box (when clicking the green button). I want to be able to see all users usage by only connecting to localhost. I'm not to sure how to go about implementing this? Do I create a new rule when connected to the localhost? or maybe create a group?

I tried both but like I said I'm not that informed so I don't really grasp all the term in context with the program e.g. "Source" & "Destination" (I don't know which is which).
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   11 June 2015, 11:32

Unfortunately that's not really possible. When you are connecting to local host, you are connecting the BCS installed on your own PC. It's fully independent from the BCSs installed on other computers.

See, the BM software is primarily designed to be installed on a single PC that acts as a router or bridge, so there's usually one GUI and one BCS. That's why managing multiple PCs may not be convenient. You can however try this workaround:

1. Enable web-report access.
  2. Open each user's web-report in a browser tab, e.g. http:// x.x.x.x:zz where x.x.x.x is the user IP address and zz is the port you chose.
  3. Make that browser re-open these tabs on startup and then you can see everyone's usage once you open the browser.

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   11 June 2015, 18:25

Thank you, works perfectly!

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   25 June 2015, 04:51

Hi, I might have missed it in the forum, but I was wondering, If person A on my wifi network is over their limit I want to deny them access to that wifi network (this is working perfectly). But now this person uses his/her own 3G card to connect to the web and now BM is blocking this person. So how do I distinguish between these to connections for the above stated rule?

If it is mentioned somewhere please just forward me there
Thank you!

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   25 June 2015, 12:00

Do you have the BM software installed on that person's computer, right?

If so, try selecting a specific network interface in the limiting rule, so it would work for their WiFi connection, but not 3G.

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   27 June 2015, 06:44

Thank you, I got it working.
One last thing, If I am running BM from one pc and have the BCS on the other four pc's, I only need to purchase one pc licence right? Or do I need one licence per pc?

Re: Montor all data usage from one PC   27 June 2015, 11:07

One licence would be fine. Technically this scenario requires four licences, but it is not enforced and you are welcome to use one licence on multiple machines in a very small network.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.