Reported data usage problem

Started by Lee22900

Reported data usage problem   24 February 2013, 02:28

I have Networx 5.2.7 64 bit that is reporting data usage of double the downloaded file size. ie, when I download a test file of exactly 1 MB, Networx will show an increase of 2 MB on the current received usage total for the day. Regardless of file size, the reported usage is always twice that of the downloaded file. I must be overlooking something. Can someone give me an explanation ?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Reported data usage problem   24 February 2013, 10:00

You just need to choose ONE specific network interface to monitor in the settings.

As installed NetWorx is monitoring all traffic on all network interfaces, possibly including local traffic or multiple adapters including virtual and dial-up ones and sums it all up.

This might result in incorrect readings.

Reported data usage problem   25 February 2013, 02:07

Yes, I understand that Networx can monitor other adapter traffic, but I do have it set ignore all but my internet traffic. This is evident as downloads and received usage correlates exactly - usage total starts to increase when the download starts and stops when the download stops.

Reported data usage problem   25 February 2013, 03:46

Are you using a VPN? If so, both the physical device and the VPN device are counting the same traffic, giving 'double' results.

You can select just one device or use the Factor to 'divide by two' (you'd actually specify the Factor in the Hidden settings as "0.5".

J

Reported data usage problem   26 February 2013, 00:44

No VPN involved. I do have a LAN setup, but I have 'Ignore local traffic within the LAN' checked and under Networks 'Only networks selected below', I have the MAC addr of my router checked which is connected via ethernet cable. I just tried another download test of a 2.28 MB file. I reset the usage counter to zero prior to the download. At download completion, the counter stopped at 4.56 MB - it's always consistently double the file size. I realize that I must have something set wrong or other users would surely have noticed this problem.

Reported data usage problem   26 February 2013, 02:14

Perhaps it would help to get some more information-

1) Are you using the Installed or Portable version of Networx?
-if Portable, have you installed WinPCap?
-if Installed, did you elect to install the Networx driver?

2) Which interface have you selected from the list of available Monitored interfaces?
-have you tried other interfaces?

3) Is the "Usage adjustment (factor)" in Hidden Settings = 1 or 2?

Reported data usage problem   26 February 2013, 04:04

I'm using the installed version of Networx. Usage factor is set to 1. The Ist selection under Monitored interfaces is a drop down menu that has a faded out 'All connections' and not changeable. However, under Networks... , only the router addr is selected. LAN traffic is also set to be Ignored.

Reported data usage problem   26 February 2013, 06:07

The Ist selection under Monitored interfaces is a drop down menu that has a faded out 'All connections' and not changeable

Sorry, I just checked and if you ticked the BOX for "Ignore local traffic..." that's under the Monitored interfaces area, then you do indeed get what you've got.

Untick the box, then look in the Monitored interfaces list for one that ignores local traffic.

J
Attachments:
open | download – Managed interfaces list.png (23.1 KB)

Reported data usage problem   26 February 2013, 07:25

My menu looks a bit different (attachment). I didn't see the "Ignore LAN traffic", so I selected all ethernet connections which of course will allow LAN xfers. But, downloads and usage values are much closer now - maybe 20 to 30 kBs difference on a .5 MB download. Thanks for your help.
Attachments:
open | download – monitored_interfaces.JPG (77.6 KB)

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.