WinPCap/LAN driver question

Started by ed1

ed1

WinPCap/LAN driver question   14 May 2013, 03:12

I just updated to Networx 5.2.8 and left checked the selection in the installer dialogue box to install the Networx LAN driver. I also have WinPCap 4.1.2 installed.

I have selected the drop down option to Ignore Local Traffic: [My NIC] and have checked the box to synchronize Networx with other network computers.

It's been so long since I installed WinPCap, I forgot why it was recommnended with Networx.

Should I have either uninstalled WinPCap or unchecked the option to install the Networx LAN driver when installing 5.2.8? Should I remove one of them now?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

WinPCap/LAN driver question   14 May 2013, 10:32

It's up to you really.

You can continue to use WinPCap which works better for some users. In this case don't tick the Ignore LAN option, instead choose an entry from the drop-down list of interfaces.

Or you can tick the Ignore LAN option, in which case NetWorx uses its own driver and if everything works okay, you can remove WinPCap.
ed1

WinPCap/LAN driver question   14 May 2013, 12:01

But, if I check the Ignore LAN box, the drop down shifts to All Connections and is grayed out.

Does this mean that once the Ignore LAN box is checked, Networx can only monitor all network connections?

If so, that would not work for me, as I have a TV card installed in the computer for which I do not wish to monitor usage as it's using television signal data rather than internet data. If that is the case, it would appear that I need to use the WinPCap driver to be able to select only my NIC to monitor.

Andrew, please confirm that my understanding is correct on this. Thanks.

And, if I want to use the WInPCap driver, I do not need to reinstall Networx without the Networx LAN driver - I can just leave both drivers installed even though I would use only the WinPCap driver, correct?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

WinPCap/LAN driver question   14 May 2013, 12:32

That's right, when the Ignore LAN box is checked, it monitors all network activity through all available connections, so if you'd like to monitor a specific adapter, choose en entry from the drop-down list of interfaces. This would mean using WinPCap.

It's okay to leave both drivers installed, they do not interfere or otherwise affect each other, so you can use WinPCap driver alone.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.