Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on

Started by Daniel M.

Since the new version installed, the program crashes when the checkbox "ignore local traffic within the LAN" is switched on. It occours in that moment, when I connect to a remote FTP server! Even the connection can't established correctly (error message in FlashFXP). I don't use WinPcap and I selected "All Connections". I use FlashFXP as FTP client. It doesn't matter which FTP server I'm connecting to.

Error in event viewer (German windows):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: networx.exe, Version: 5.2.8.13135, Zeitstempel: 0x51938588
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.18015, Zeitstempel: 0x50b83b16
Ausnahmecode: 0x0eedfade
Fehleroffset: 0x0000812f
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x75c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ce520335c44e32
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\NetWorx\networx.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Berichtskennung: a2b37fe6-bdf6-11e2-b26f-1c7508fe2be3

Daniel
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on   16 May 2013, 18:51

It would be helpful if you could run the following debug version of NetWorx.

Simply replace your file NETWORX.EXE in the folder where you have NetWorx installed and make it crash. It will then allow you to send a bug report that would help me identify the issue.

Make sure you replace your EXE file with the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version from this archive.
I have just manged to get into the settings page and remove the "ignore local traffic" tick and it is now working too!
Can't send this bug report because nothing happens after crash. I used this 32bit EXE file of your post above...
Networx 5.2.8 3205 kB version downloaded on 5/16 would not stay alive long enough to even see whether "ignore LAN traffic" was check or not, but probably was as that was how I was running 5.2.7, which worked well. Today I downloaded the latest version on the site 5.2.8 3563 kB, but it behaved the same way. So I tried the 32 bit debug version you made available in this thread, 3942 kB. "ignore LAN traffic" is checked, but within a couple of minutes, it crashed too, and I don't see how to send a log of anything. I am running Win7 32 bit.

I am probably not computer literate enough to help as I cannot even find a debug log in the networx directory, so could you please make 5.2.7 available until 5.2.8 works?
I don't know if it was due to Networx or the massive 40MB MS update a few days ago, but I decided to restore my computer to 5/9, which brought back Networx 5.2.7. What is interesting is that it reports over 11 GB received for just TODAY, which isn't even over yet and which is so far above the typical <200 MB/day for the previous ten days, there seems to be something weird. I wonder if the data files got corrupted just due to the 5.2.8 update or perhaps due to the problem folks are having with the update? Or not knowing exactly how a system restore treats data files in a program files directory, maybe it is a MS problem. I assume the goal is that when the program is updated it continues to keep track of historical levels accurately, yes?
Have same problem. OS Vista Home x32. On earlier releases on NW just unable to connect to internet with ignore lan traffic checked. After installing ver 5.2.8 NW will stop working and exit. Only got event log entry the first time I tried it. Now when I try to run with ignore lan traffic just exits, have to run without it checked. Sent you a file with the only error event recorded.

Note have tried running with debug file mentioned above, don't see any log being generated. Where can result be found if any?

Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on   18 May 2013, 19:38

Good news, I have been able to identify and fix this bug.

It only appeared when the Ignore LAN traffic option was on, on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 and only on 32-bit.

Please download the fixed build here: INSTALLER
Perfect! Problem solved with the new build. Thanks!
Problem also solved with new build here also.
Good to know! But I had so much trouble with system crashes around the time 5.2.8 kept crashing and seeing some problems with it in system information in Win 7 when I booted in safe mode, I think I will wait a bit more to convince myself the system is stable again before trying it! The problem may have been with Acronis True Home which was generating lots of errors seen on event viewer, and things seemed to clear up when I uninstalled (with great difficulty) that very invasive software.
I get blue screen crashes also with 5.2.8. Vista home premium, sp2. Downloaded your new installer in your may 18th post above but it also says 5.2.8. Seems to be the same installer I already have.

Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on   30 May 2013, 23:50

Tom V, if you have both install files, check their Properties > Details and you'll see different dates. Andrew doesn't change the version number unless he releases it via the normal download site or through Check Updates.
A file compare says my two installers are identical. The dates on the general tab just reflect the download dates, May 27 and 29 2013. The date in the digital signature section is May 21, 2013.
Looks like an otherwise great program, but it crashes me hard

Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on   31 May 2013, 14:01

If it crashes to a BSOD it means there is a problem with the LAN traffic filtering driver that NetWorx comes with.

In this case the only solution is to uninstall and then install it without the LAN traffic filtering driver.
Since 5.2.8, even updated with the newest version in this thread, when I activate "ignore local traffic" networx just stops recording and the usage graph stops moving. Unchecking this box brings networx back to live.
I am using the included filter driver.
Any idea?

Win7, 32bit, updated and happily running

Networx 5.2.8 crashes when ignore lan traffic is switched on   01 July 2013, 07:27

After checking ignore local traffic (or other changes & NW isn't working as you expect), try rebooting. Have NW set to start w/ Windows. Rebooting has gotten it back on track for a couple of problems, for me. No guarantee.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.