Monitoring a specific network

Started by benjibenji81

benjibenji81

Monitoring a specific network   24 May 2013, 08:23

I have a laptop (Dell XPS 15, Windows 7 Home 64 bit) and connect to the internet via built-in wireless (Centrino Wireless-N 1000). I have Networx (v. 5.2.8 64 bit) monitoring "All connections" with the "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" enabled.

My internet connection at home is a Netgear 4G mobile hub, the ISP charges per usage so I'd like to limit how much I use it. 2 GB costs like $45 for example. At home connected to this network I want to monitor my usage. However, if I take my laptop to a cafe or library I connect to a high speed wireless network so I don't want to monitor usage. My solution so far was to just close the networx process down, but sometimes I forget to run it again at home.

There seems to be a setting to choose a specific network to use but it gives me a list of 2 MAC addresses and I don't know which one to use. If I open the Network and Sharing Center and get the details of the cafe's network connection I see a totally different MAC address that Networx doesn't list. Am I misunderstanding something? Is the MAC Address Networx listing that of my laptop and not the network?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Monitoring a specific network   24 May 2013, 11:58

It's the MAC address of the default gateway. The network you are currently connected to is highlighted in green. To find out the MAC address of the default gateway, type at a command prompt:
ipconfig
Then type
arp -a
and look for the default gateway's IP address in the arp command's output.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.