TCP trouble with Ignore local traffic within the LAN

Started by Tyler

I've tracked this down to NetWorx. In the following script, with that option enabled,
I'm not getting the last packet received by the client.
See the below Python scripts. Ideally, client should go from 0 to 499 connecting and disconnecting from the server. However, with ignore traffic checked, It consistently hangs near the beginning.
I'm running Windows 8 X64 and NetWorx 5.2.9.

Server:
import socket

def main():
 sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
 sock.bind(('', 8111))
 sock.listen(5)
 while True:
  client, address = sock.accept()
  handle(client)

def handle(client):
 while True:
  type = ord(client.recv(1))
  print type
  if type == 8:
   client.sendall('\x06')
   break
 client.sendall('\x03')
 client.close()
 print "closed"

main()

Client:
import socket

def go():
 s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
 s.connect(('127.0.0.1', 8111))
 s.sendall('\x08')
 while True:
  type = ord(s.recv(1))
  print "type ", type
  if type == 3:
   s.close()
   break

for i in range(500):
 print i
 go()
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

TCP trouble with Ignore local traffic within the LAN   12 August 2013, 23:57

It seems to have been fixed now.

Could you please download this build, install it over your current installation and reboot?

Let me know if the issue persists.
Thanks. That fixed it, but introduced a new bug not present in the earlier 5.2.9.
When I run TeamTalk, which is a voice chat application, I notice nearly equal upload/download rates even when noone is talking. This goes away when I disconnect or when I uncheck ignore traffic from the LAN.
These are the best instructions I Have for reproducing it.

1. Download the TeamTalk 4 classic portable zip from the link on http://bearware.dk .
2. Extract and run TeamTalk4Classic.exe.
2. Turn off outgoing audio by going to the Me menu, and making sure Enable Voice Activation is unchecked.
3. Connect to a server. A few public servers can be accessed by pressing f3 and choosing one from the list. the root channel in one of them should be empty. If not, you can just create a channel with f7.
4. With audio transmission disabled, the TX item (transmission rate) on the status bar will be at or close to 0. Rx will change depending on who's talking.
With all that in place, NetWorx is showing a constant upload and download speed, but only with ignore traffic checked. When I exit TeamTalk or disconnect from the server, the problem also goes away.
Upload should be near zero due to explicitly disabling audio transmission, and download should be near the RX rate in TeamTalk. This will be minimal if in a channel with noone else in it.

Reverting to 5.2.9 fixes it. I seem to recall it being in an earlier version (possibly 5.2.8), but fixed later.
I managed to solve this one by adding ::1 to the list of IPV6 addresses in IP Address Range Manager. A few hours in, things work as expected.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.