Router - Connection through cable wire and WiFi/BT

Started by Neel

Neel

Router - Connection through cable wire and WiFi/BT   10 November 2013, 12:20

Hi Andrew,
As you might remember, I have 2 computers:
1) Desktop A (Win XP) without WiFi (with normal cable port). It has Bluetooth though.
2) Laptop B (Win 7) with WiFi (and Bluetooth)

I am still using Networx 5.2.8

Now, here's my situation and questions:

1) I want to take a high-speed cable internet connection.
2) I wish to get a router (I have never ever used a router and hence I don't know much).
3) I want to connect the cable internet connection via the normal/old way with the cable (without WiFi -but can with BT - but I don't know if routers have BT) to the port to my 'Computer A', through the router...and via WiFi (or BT) to my 'Computer B, through the router..simultaneously.
4) Sometimes, A maybe be off and only B maybe on..or vice-versa.
5) How will the Networx reading appear? (As I said, both A and B) has Networx installed)
6) Also, since I now connect B through Bluetooth on my phone, I want the Networx readings to be separate when I connect via phone internet connect (as it's a different service provider) Vs. when I connect via cable internet connection.
7) According you your experience, kindly suggest some 'economical/cheap' but good routers (preferable with the exact model number) that will serve my purpose and also will give good protection (since I live i a small house of just 550 sq.ft and I don't want my neighbors to connect with my network).

Thanks and regards,
Neel
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Router - Connection through cable wire and WiFi/BT   11 November 2013, 12:04

Normally if you sign-up for a cable or ADSL connection, your ISP will also provide you with a router. Most likely you won't need to buy it separately.

Routers don't support Bluetooth, instead they have hardwired ports and WiFi, so your computer A can connect via a cable and computer B can connect via WiFi.

You will need to install NetWorx on both A and B and turn on usage synchronisation.

You can also configure NetWorx to monitor usage in that network only and not to take Bluetooth connections into account.
Hi Andrew,

1) I am thinking of buying my first router, either on 31st Dec or 1st Jan. I zeroed upon : TP Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router.
Do you think it's a good choice?

2) Also, an out of league question about system restore points both in Win 7 and Win XP:
Is it possible to store/save manually restore points on a pen-drive or CD for future restoration work? If yes, how please?
(The reason is while slimming/cleaning computer drives, only the latest restore point remains; however sometimes, the earlier restore points are more useful)

Thanks, Neel

P.S. Your Networx 5.2.8 still rocks in both my systems - flawless! Should be entered into your Hall of Fame product version!!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.