SNMP Configuration

Started by Joseph A

SNMP Configuration   29 January 2014, 07:30

I had given up on Networx for a while but now that I got a SNMP-capable modem/router I came back to it (version 5.2.12).

My problem is that although I enabled SNMP in the router, I still get no traffic monitored. I tried a few of those WAN interfaces listed to no avail.

What do lo, sit0, br0, vc0_e, vc1_e mean? I gather what the other names mean (eth, wlan, ppp0) but not those others. Also, what number after these names, if any, should I choose?

I tried the new UPnP capabilities too, but again no success. I have enabled UPnP in the router, of course.

Any help?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: SNMP Configuration   29 January 2014, 11:01

It's up to the router's vendor how to name interfaces. In this case, with a degree of guessing: lo = loopback, br0 = bridge 0, vc0_e = virtual circuit 0 ethernet.

It's also up to the vendor how to handle traffic within the device. Some routers are based on Linux, some have a custom OS, so it's not really possible to say which interface will work.

I am afraid the only advice I can give, is try them all or download this utility and see what it reports for the interfaces.

Re: SNMP Configuration   04 February 2014, 05:08

@Andrew

Thank you for the information provided. The guesses look right. Still don't know what sit0 means though.

I have tried lots of options and tweaked the modem/router configuration quite a lot but had no success. The USB option did not work either. The ROUTER user appears in the Usage Report but disappears when I reset the data. I also tried the recommended utility (FrameFlow) and it indicated no communication with the modem/router, which seems to indicate something is still missing.

I will keep trying and waiting for new versions.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.