Memory leak in v 5.3.0

Started by mottamort

mottamort

Memory leak in v 5.3.0   14 March 2014, 08:54

Hi there. A quick google search and forum search has not shown anything relevant since early 2013, so I thought I'd share.
When NetWorx starts with my pc, it uses approximately 19 396K of RAM (in task manager). this very slowly starts crawling upwards, but never decreases.

It gets to the point after 2-3 days of running of around 2-3GB of RAM usage. Clearly this is a memory leak, something very much not wanted in monitoring software sad

Unless this is localised to me (I have 2 home pc's both running win 7 x64, both exhibiting memory leaking), I'm sure this should be easily validated and replicated, so I won't be providing details, unless asked, in which case I'll be happy to smile

Have been using Networx Monitor for about 6 months now for personal use since about 5.0.7 I think it was, and I really enjoy it, but killing the process and starting it up every few days to purge the RAM usage isn't something I should be doing.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Memory leak in v5.3.0   14 March 2014, 11:32

I need to know the exact combination of settings that you are using.

NetWorx is a quite sophisticated application where various branches of code execute with different settings.

For starters, please post here a screen shot of the general settings tab and e-mail me the configuration database file from C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx to support at softperfect.com
Mottamort

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   14 March 2014, 21:19

There we go. mail sent.
SoftPerfect support forum
c

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   05 May 2014, 19:14

I have also found that the memory usage increases after Networx has been running for a few days, although my usage isn't as bad it will start off at around 15 MB and after a one or two days it will get over 200 MB.

Here are my settings in case you need them and I have sent you my configuration via email:
SoftPerfect support forum
c

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   05 May 2014, 19:16

I forget to mention that I am also using Windows 7 x64 and Networx 5.3.0.

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   06 May 2014, 02:08

Just for comparison, I monitor my router and the networx memory usage is stable at 18.48MB i.e. doesn't change.
W764Pro SP1, NW 5.3.0 installed version using the recommended driver.

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   06 May 2014, 11:18

Most likely that's because uTorrent is in use. If you close it, you will the memory usage dropped. What is happening is NetWorx is keeping statistics what connection used how much data to show network activity in the netstat tool, but it looks like uTorrent keeps connections open for a long time when invariably makes NetWorx's memory usage climb up.

In the latest build of NetWorx, gathering this data optional (which also should be better performance-wise). Please download the following build. Then access the hidden settings as described here.

Locate the last setting called Keep track of TCP/UDP connections and set it to False. This should solve the memory consumption issue and slightly improve performance.
c

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   06 May 2014, 17:37

Thanks.
Does turning this setting off mean that it will no longer track per-application usage in the Applications tab?

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   06 May 2014, 21:22

It will stil track applications on the Applications tab, however will not in the netstat.

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   08 May 2014, 05:16

Just following up on your last response, Andrew, the Applications tab feature still isn't meant to work if you're using WinPCap's "Ignore LAN traffic" option (as opposed to the native driver's), right? This is despite the per-process bandwidth showing up in Netstat (assuming "Keep track of TCP/UDP connections" isn't on false).

Re: Memory leak in v 5.3.0   08 May 2014, 09:11

That's right. This is because WinPCap operates at a lower level, sufficient for NetWorx to separate local traffic from Internet traffic, bit but not sufficient to obtain process information.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.