NetWorx slows down both upload and download speed

Started by Lars H.

Lars H.

NetWorx slows down both upload and download speed   11 April 2014, 18:30

I'm running NetWorx on two Dell PC's. On the laptop running Win 7 64bit I have no problems, but when I run speedtest.net on the desktop running Win XP pro 32bit, I don't get the max (100Mbps) download speed. The speed without NetWorx is 98Mbps, but with NetWorx running only 10Mbps! This is with Firefox 28.0. With Internet Explorer 8 the download speed is better, but still not more than 60Mbps with NetWorx on, 98Mbps with NetWorx off.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetWorx slows down both upload and download speed   11 April 2014, 23:35

Is the Ignore LAN traffic option on?
Yes, it's set to ignore LAN traffic.
SoftPerfect support forum

And if not
SoftPerfect support forum

Thanks, but why the difference?

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   12 April 2014, 22:07

Hi Lars,

The answer is likely that, with the Ignore local.... turned ON, Networx has to intercept each packet and check to see if
1) it's local and thus not count it
or
2) it's not local and count it.

so doing that does take 'some' time. Quite a bit in your case apparently.

That time would be more significant the higher the connection speed, i.e. if you had only a 1.5Mbps connection, like me, the time to check would be insignificant.

You said that your router at home has SMTP, so simply monitor the router, that happens at 1 second intervals and won't impact your "fantastic, I wish I had them" speed. tick

J

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   13 April 2014, 12:09

That's right. As an alternative, I would recommend to try using NetWorx with WinPCap as it might work faster:

1. Download and install WinPCap.
  2. When NetWorx starts, you should be able to choose one of your adapters prefixed with "Ignore LAN Traffic" from the drop-down list in the NetWorx settings.

In this case NetWorx would use WinPCap for intercepting traffic rather than its own driver and due to certain implementation differences this may work better.

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   14 April 2014, 00:01

Andrew,

Will Lars have to re-install Networx after installing WinPcap or will Networx automatically use WinPcap?

J

posted at 10:01

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   14 April 2014, 00:17

Just relaunch NetWorx. No reinstall is needed.

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   17 April 2014, 01:57

Hi Andrew,

I just had a thought about your answer, does it mean that even though I've installed the Networx driver, Networx will use WinPCap instead if it finds it on the system?

I ask because I have WinPCap v3 installed for other apps such as Wireshark and a couple of NirSoft apps (which I was just updating which triggered my question) but I was assuming that Networx used the driver that I specified at install time.

J

Re: NetWorx slow down both upload and download speed   17 April 2014, 23:02

If you tick the Ignore LAN traffic option, NetWorx uses its own built-in driver, which is the one you have the performance issues with.

If you choose an adapter prefixed with Ignore LAN traffic from the drop-down list, NetWorx uses WinPCap.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.