"Always on top" option in tray right-click menu

Started by Cristi

Cristi

"Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   12 October 2014, 07:15

It would be useful for persons who frequently access this function ("Always on top" for the graph) to put it directly in the tray right-click menu, as going to Settings through the menu every time is a little bit inconvenient. Thank you.

Re: "Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   12 October 2014, 18:17

Do you mean that you turn it on and off frequently? Why?

Just use the two options Hide/Show Graph and Enable Graph Click-through.
You may be the only person that has this issue...

J
Cristi

Re: "Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   12 October 2014, 23:41

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, because in a day I often switch two types of internet connection, one of which tends to fall and I need to monitor it permanently, not to waste time waiting a download that stucks; but in general I don't want to see the graph permanently. Even when it's on I have set it to 20% opacity.

To be more exact, it doesn't fall, it slows down, e.g. as I said, goes from constantly 2 mbps to 200 kbps, and then is when I need to restart it.

But you gave me a better idea, and I think it can be done even easier - if it can be programmed: the "Hide/Show graph" toggle to be an option in the "On tray icon click display" from the "Tray icon information" setting section. That would make a one-click switch; but so far that can only display some or other info and I don't know if it can be programmed for this kind of switch.
Cristi

Re: "Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   12 October 2014, 23:54

But from a usability point of view, it's better that such a switch be asigned to the "Always on top" toggle, because I use a browser and that's when I only need it sometimes to show over, but it's better to have it shown on desktop all the time. I don't use the tray graph, because I need actual data speeds with units, but the graph only shows relative activity - and the difference if a download goes constantly at 200 kbps or at 2 mbps cannot be seen from the graph.

Re: "Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   13 October 2014, 02:37

Cristi

But you gave me a better idea, and I think it can be done even easier - if it can be programmed: the "Hide/Show graph" toggle to be an option in the "On tray icon click display"

Left click on the the tray icon or right click on the system tray icon to see the options, then left click on Show/Hide.... total 2 clicks = 1.5 seconds.

If you right click on the tray icon it shows the name of the Monitored interface. If you left click on the interface name you see the options, then left click on Show/Hide.....total 3 clicks = 2 seconds

and, for other ways to check the speeds:

If you open Settings and select "Current transfer rate" for the option for "On tray icon hover display".... no clicks = 0 seconds (but you have to move the mouse and hover, however if you leave the mouse hovering, the stats are updated as frequently as the graph)

If you install the tray graph, you'll find that it does show the Up/Down transfer rates, all the time.... no clicks or mouse movement required = 0 seconds. ---and this is in a fairly compact form that doesn't impact your browser space.

There are so many ways to achieve your objective without changing the program.

J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: "Always on top" option in tray right-click menu   13 October 2014, 13:58

I would also recommend assigning a hotkey to show/hide the graph so it can be seen/dismissed instantly by pushing a designated key.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.