Windows Taskbar gone

Started by Stef

Stef

Windows Taskbar gone   09 August 2015, 14:40

Downloaded networx portable yesterday. Great program, everything was fine.
Then this morning it didn't seem to start, no matter how often I clicked the exe. Windows task manager revealed several copies running, so it seemed like it was only missing the icon in the tray area. Didn't know how else to get to the program, so I searched your knowledge base. The issue was known and I downloaded ResetIconCache.bat to remedy the problem.

After running ResetIconCache.bat my whole Windows taskbar is gone. I won't even come up when pressing the WIN-key. Right-clicking the desktop doesn't bring up any menu, the desktop itself does not show any of my icons. I am on Win7 64.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Windows Taskbar gone   09 August 2015, 15:16

Just reboot the computer and everything should come back to normal.
Stef

Re: Windows Taskbar gone   09 August 2015, 16:04

Thank you Andrew,
yes that's what I did - not seeing any other chance anyway when the whole system was inoperable - but this also meant lost network connections, mounted drives not properly closed, decrypted files not re-encrypted ..... things like that make you feel uncomfortable.

Reading the instructions in the knowledge base I was under the impression a reboot was not necessary. Which is why I opted for this method, it promised to "restart the shell for me" - what it probably did, but it was not obvious I would have to reboot anyway.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Windows Taskbar gone   09 August 2015, 18:25

The batch file works well in a test environment, I am afraid something else went wrong, e.g. the antivirus didn't like it.

Also if you restarted Windows by a command, for example by hitting Alt + F4 or Ctrl + Alt + Del on the desktop and not using the Power button, everything should have been closed correctly.
Stef

Re: Windows Taskbar gone   09 August 2015, 18:38

Well, too late now
Anyway, case solved - and hopefully it won't happen again with future startups thinking

The program itself is fabulous. The more data it collects, the more awesome features I discover ok, yes, thumb up cool

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.