Checking "ignore local traffic" lowers reported traffic usage

Started by Johnwg

hello,
I like NetWorx, and the usage is close to the same as shown in my network centre (Vista) around 20 mb a day average. I especially like the applications tab where I can see what programs are using the Internet. Trouble is, since I checked the "ignore local traffic within the lan" box so as the applications tab will work, I now have about 5 or 6 mb a day less usage in NetWorx than what's showing in my network centre usage.

any ideas why this is so?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Checking "ignore local traffic" lowers reported traffic usage   02 November 2015, 18:20

I can't say with certainty, but here are a couple of common issues:
  1. NetWorx doesn't record any data before a user logs in. The OS may be downloading updates or similar in background and if this happens to be before you log on, NetWorx won't record this.
  2. When you have the "Ignore LAN traffic" option ticked, it's common to expect up to 10% under-reporting because in this mode NetWorx does not record what's called TCP/IP overhead.
Ok, it seems like my problem is mainly with 2.
Although NetWorx doesn't record that tcp/ip overhead with the Ignore LAN traffic option ticked, my network sharing centre does because it's usage is about 10% higher than NetWorx. Can that be changed, because my isp seems to charge me for that other 10% also.
Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Checking "ignore local traffic" lowers reported traffic usage   03 November 2015, 10:03

Sure, if you would like to equalise the readings, you can do so in the hidden settings.

There is one parameter called Usage adjustment factor. Set it to a value that represent the difference (it would be about 1.1) and NetWorx reading should match the ISP's ones better.
^^^

good one ok, yes, thumb up

Re: Checking "ignore local traffic" lowers reported traffic usage   05 November 2015, 03:29

Just be aware that, depending on the type of downloads, the percentage may vary by quite a bit. For normal browsing 10% is quite close, but if you're downloading a large installation file, the difference may be 12% or even more.

You can use sqlite to make adjustments to the networx.db records to bring them in line with the ISP totals when that happens, but it's 'after the fact'. It's hard to know 'in advance' what percentage should be used in 'Hidden settings'.

You should use Networx as an easy guide to tell you when you're getting close to an ISP billing breakpoint and that you need to check those ISP totals to avoid extra billing costs.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.