Synchronization and networx.db

Started by cdg

cdg

Synchronization and networx.db   31 January 2016, 21:52

I have three Windows computers using Networx, each having "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" and "Synchronize usage data with other Networx instances on the network" checked. But the synchronization doesn't appear to work as I would expect it to.

For example, I changed one of the "usage" values in the networx.db on System1 (because "ignore local traffic" got unchecked accidentally). After I made the change, the System2 Networx usage report was correct, but the System2 and System3 reports still had the old values, even after I clicked "refresh". I had to manually change the "peer_usage" values for System1 on each of the other machines.

Why doesn't synchronization synchronize?

In a related question, one of the computers is a dual-boot, and I have specified the (same) database location in each networx.ini file. So now there are three networx.db files:
C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx\networx.db
W:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx\networx.db
D:\SharedFolder\networx.db

If I need to correct a usage value, which database(s) do I change? (Changing the shared db appears to work, but I am assuming that Networx updates the ProgramData database in realtime, and then copies it to the shared database, so should I update the ProgramData database instead?)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Synchronization?   31 January 2016, 22:26

The way NetWorx sync usage is as follows (in this example with two computers A and B):
  1. System A and B broadcast their presence status.
  2. When system A receives the broadcast from system B, system A pulls up all records from the B.usage table and store them in the A.peer_usage table and vice versa.
  3. If a record for that computer, user and time exists in A.usage, but not in B.peer_usage, it's added.
  4. If a record for that computer, user and time exists in A.usage and in B.peer_usage, it's updated.
  5. If a record is missing in A.usage, but it's present in B.peer_usage, nothing happens. This means deleted rows are not replicated.

Regarding the DB location, if you relocated the DB using the hidden setting, which creates an INI file with the new DB location, then any DBs in the default locations are not used. You can even delete them as only the DB referred to in the INI file is used.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.