Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2

Started by Navdeep

Navdeep

Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   17 February 2016, 06:10

Hi,

Just a few minutes ago, I installed the newer version of Networx after downloading it from the website. When I restarted the computer as asked at the completion of the installation, networx started back up, but now I find that all my usage data is gone. Their is nothing there.

Unfortunately, I haven't backed up the data and settings in a while. Is their any way for me to get the usage data back? Where does networx save all its data and settings on the computer? (Which folder). I have a .csv file from a few days back that I used to export hourly data. When I try to use the restore option and select the file using the .csv option, networx gives me an error 'Date' is not a valid date.

Is their a way for me to get my usage data back? I have tried system restore on my windows as well but for some reason none of the available restore points are functional. I would appreciate if you could help me here.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   17 February 2016, 10:08

I am sorry that you lost your data, this wasn't supposed to happen. Normally, when you upgrade NetWorx by installing a newer version over an older one, everything is kept intact.

If you have any backups of %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx, you may be able to recover the usage database.

You can also send me the DB file from the above location and I will check if anything can be recovered.
Navdeep

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   17 February 2016, 10:37

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I just used the link you gave me to send the db file in rar format. Though it seems to me to be the new one created after I upgraded to the newest version, I hope you can use it to recover my old data somehow. Thanks for the help.
Navdeep

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   20 February 2016, 08:04

Hi Andrew,

Any luck with retrieving the user data from the .db file I sent you?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   20 February 2016, 09:28

Unfortunately this DB file only contained one day's records and it looks like the old one was somehow deleted, so NetWorx had to recreate it.

Some users lose their data by uninstalling the old version first, and NetWorx being a nice program cleans up after itself, but as far as I understand you installed it over, so this doesn't apply.

Sorry I am afraid the data is gone and at this point it's impossible to tell what's happened.
Rod

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   20 February 2016, 10:26

Navdeep

Is their a way for me to get my usage data back? I have tried system restore on my windows as well but for some reason none of the available restore points are functional. I would appreciate if you could help me here.

You could try System Restore. That's what I did when a similar thing happened to me.

You may have to re-update/re-install anything updated/installed before the Restore point
Rod

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   20 February 2016, 10:29

Rod

Navdeep

You could try System Restore. That's what I did when a similar thing happened to me.

You may have to re-update/re-install anything updated/installed before the Restore point

Oops! It's late. Sorry.

Re: Lost NetWorx data on upgrade to 5.5.2   20 February 2016, 22:09

This suggestion won't help now but (likely) will in the future...

Just before installing a newer version (of any program), make a copy of the data files that it uses. The simplest is using Explorer but there are other programs such as Robocopy and FreeFilleSync that can automate the process. I use FreeFilleSynch to mirror folders because I like it's UI.

The important thing to remember is that for Networx, you need to stop (Exit) it to force it to write any unwritten data to disk before you make the copy and then restart Networx. You should also keep a copy of the corresponding install file for the program so that you can easily revert if needed because Softperfect doesn't offer access to older versions (except by posting a link, sometimes).

J

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.