Slowing down winsock listen

Started by zespri

zespri

Slowing down winsock listen   27 April 2016, 18:56

When networx driver is installed calling winsock listen takes several hundred milliseconds, whereas normally (that is without networx driver) it takes only a few milliseconds. Because listen is relatively rare function to call it's not very prominent most of the time, however if an application trying to listen on many ports at once the (start up) delay is considerable.

I discovered this the hard way, and my story is here: http://stackoverflow.com/q/36687050/284111

Note: Please do not take word 'crap' that is used in the linked post personally, it is not attributed to networx or softperfect. It just describes my bad habits / bad discretion when it comes to choosing what I install on my machine. Again, it has nothing to do with networx or softperfect.

This is issue is not a deal breaker most of the time, but it would be extremely nice if it's fixed.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Slowing down winsock listen   27 April 2016, 19:37

Unfortunately it's not reproducible and it can be virtually anything, e.g. a combination of installed software and other drivers.

I wrote a test program that measures the time listen takes.

Everything, including sockets initialisation and shutdown took about 4ms with and without NetWorx installed:

SoftPerfect support forum
zespri

Re: Slowing down winsock listen   27 April 2016, 20:02

Okay, thanks. Could be drivers interaction issue.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.