Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting

Started by Praxis

Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   18 May 2016, 19:52

I have a problem similar to another post about UPnP router access.

I have a Huawei E8372 "Wingle" i.e. a dongle with Wi-Fi access for up to 10 clients. It seems to report the 'almost' correct 'Sent' usage values but not the 'Received' usage values when accessed by Networx via UPnP requests.

I'm using Networx 5.5.4.0 bld 16134 on W7-Pro SP1 64bit. Would you please provide the debug build that tracks the conversation between NW & Huawei to see if the router does pass the 'Received' but in some form not currently usable by NW?

The initial values below were accumulated using "all connections" which is why the DL and UL are as high as they are, then I switched to using the router to measure the changes resulting from the file download.
The file downloaded was the NW installer = 4,607KB as stated on your site.
..............DL-yellow.........UL-green........ (Both-magenta)
before....10,259.54KB......1,103.39KB
after......10,259.59KB......1,159.66KB
diff.........0.05KB..............56.27KB

the 56.27KB upload reported is only 1.2% of the download of 4,607KB which is about a tenth of what I'd expect (12%).
the 0.05KB download reported is completely incorrect

It may very well mean that the Huawei is incapable of passing the correct information.

I have to use two posts to show all 4 snapshots.
Attachments:
open | download – 01 UPnP Mobile Wi-Fi.png (14.7 KB)
open | download – 02 Monitor Router Mobile Wi-Fi.png (28 KB)

Re: Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   18 May 2016, 19:53

snapshots of the before and after graph values
Attachments:
open | download – 04 before download.png (45.4 KB)
open | download – 05 after download.png (44.5 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   18 May 2016, 21:19

Most likely it's the router's problem. You can use something like SmartSniff to see responses from it:

SoftPerfect support forum

By comparing the numbers before downloading a file and after it you can calculate by how much the DL/UL counters advanced.

Re: Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   20 May 2016, 11:06

It took a few minutes to parse the first captured data but it was obvious that the router was returning incorrect values which are useless.

There are other issues but none are likely to be fixed, I attempted to get an explanation from Huawei but was ignored. When I complained to Bell Canada I was told that Bell's position was that as long as I could connect to the internet they would do nothing to help get a fix from Huawei.
The other major ISP offers the same Huawei router and with no other alternatives, I'll just have to live with the problems.

Thanks for the smsniff.exe tip.

J
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   20 May 2016, 11:18

Unfortunately that's pretty common. I have ASUS RT-AC68U at home, which is supposed to be top of the line, yet UPnP is also broken. It simply counts up to 232 - 1 and then the counters freeze there, as in the screen shot I posted above.

Re: Huawei mobile router with UPnP: incorrect usage reporting   20 May 2016, 22:59

At least you were able to get accurate figures for a little while.

My test was as follows:

counters before and after downloading a file of 4,716,656 bytes
sent 2,631,715,851 rcvd 316,539,157
sent 2,631,818,374 rcvd 316,551,014

Both counters increased, so there was no lockup as you have at home or 'wrap-around'
sent diff..102,523
rcvd diff....11,857
Neither diff comes close to the file size, not even if the values are reversed, i.e. Sent represents Received and vice versa.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.