Syncing data between multiple hard drives

Started by zplugger

Syncing data between multiple hard drives   24 December 2018, 22:10

I have one computer with 3 hard drives in it, all the hard drives are on switches so only one is active at a time. So when I use the computer I turn on my switch to open windows. I have networx on all 3 hard drives and have the db set too a thumb drive. All three drives are set to the thumb drive db, but they don't seem to sync right. Is what I'm trying going to work? Seems like when a different hard drive is used it would read the db from the thumb drive for current usage? Do I have some setting wrong? All three are set to read Ethernet usage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   24 December 2018, 23:10

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do there, but if you are using multiple independent hard drives and want NetWorx to keep its data out of those drives, there are basically two solutions:

Use a portable version of NetWorx (simpler)
Just create a folder on a thumb drive and unpack a portable copy of NetWorx in it. Regardless of how NetWorx is launched, the data will always be kept on the thumb drive.

Setup a database path in the installed NetWorx (harder)
Installed NetWorx can be configured to keep its database on another drive. You can access the hidden settings and set the Database location parameter to a folder on the thumb drive.

Since there is really no point in having multiple copies of NetWorx installed, I recommend the former, unless you require features unavailable in the portable version (like the desk band or per-application usage reports).

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   26 December 2018, 00:07

So if I use the portable version on a thumb drive it will keep track of all data no matter witch hard drive is being used?

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   26 December 2018, 09:58

The portable version always keeps all its data in the same folder where it resides. It should work as you expect it to.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   27 December 2018, 00:02

Thanks Andrew. I will give it a try as soon as I return home from Holidays. Happy Holidays to everyone on the forum, lots of good info here.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   27 December 2018, 22:51

Well back home and no luck.
Windows 10 version 1809, OS Build 17763.134

I download Networx portable to my Samsung usb thumb drive, it does not load up when windows load? I can manually start the program and it keeps track of usage. If I restart the pc and manually start networx again it shows no data? Its not saving last session to the samsung drive. Any idea on what to try next?

Here is what I'm finding, if I shutdown windows it does not save networx data. If I shut down networx before windows 10 shutdown all is saved. How can I force networx to auto save when windows 10 shutdown. Using portable version,I need this to save on windows shutdown if networx is still running?

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   29 December 2018, 00:07

To have the NetWorx app started with Windows you would need to tick Load on Windows startup in the main settings.

Regarding not saving usage data on Windows shutdown, that's because Windows 10 kills the app on shutdown without notifying it. Normally NetWorx saves its usage records once a minute and on shutdown notification. However if killed without notification, the app may lose up to 1 minute worth of data. Unfortunately there is no way around that, just try to run NetWorx a little longer (a few minutes) and you should see all data recorded except the last minute if the app gets killed on shutdown.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   29 December 2018, 02:53

Thanks Andrew. I went to a older version of the software and it works perfect.

How come you don't have this problem in a older version,will this be fixed in future? Such a nice program to have this problem.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   29 December 2018, 22:46

What is the exact version number of the older version you are using?

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   30 December 2018, 00:08

I'm using version 5.5.5 64 Bit
Has there been a major change in how the program saves data between the old free version and today's 6.3 version? No matter what test I try on the 5.5 version it always saves the data. I would buy the 6.3 version in a minute if it could save data like in the free version. Maybe the programmers can have a look at this issue.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   02 January 2019, 00:07

We investigated the issue, and there seems to have been a change in the development environment used to build NetWorx. Older development environment that produced version 5.5.5 was okay, but the newer environment that produced the current version changed the way things work.

We have fixed the issue, and will include the fix in the next update of NetWorx.

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   02 January 2019, 03:42

Thanks Andrew
Will be waiting for next update to test it out, looking forward to buying a licence for NetWorx. Think I might start using the PC/Windows version, so many more options!

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   04 January 2019, 23:23

Morning Andrew
Any idea when this update will be released?

Re: Syncing data between multiple hard drives   05 January 2019, 00:09

We generally publish a new version once there are enough changes. In the meantime, you can download the latest preliminary build here.

It should now correctly save data on shutdown. Kindly give it a go and let me know if it does.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.