How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer

Started by Wojtek

How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   27 June 2022, 19:24

I have two system drives on my computer (dual boot computer). One system is used for work and the other for entertainment.
Can NetWorx be installed in both systems so that both installations have common statistics?
First of all, I mean the total amount of data flowing through the network card in both systems.
And does the license allow such installation?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   28 June 2022, 10:15

Yes, it's possible with a bit of extra setup.

One licence is sufficient in this case, as you are using the software on one device, and the two instances of NetWorx are not used simultaneously.

First of all, you would need to install two independent instances on these two drives. Simply boot each system once and install NetWorx in each system.

Secondly, if you want shared statistics and settings, you would need to choose one location on either drive. All settings and collected data are kept in %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx. You could then create a symbolic link with the mklink command to redirect this folder to the equivalent folder in the other system.

That is assuming that one system can access the other system's drive and vice versa. Otherwise, you would need a drive that is shared between the two systems. It can even be a USB stick plugged into the PC.

So basically this way there are two independent instances of NetWorx and the data folder of one of them points to the data folder of the other one via a symbolic link.

Re: How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   28 June 2022, 20:18

Thank you for the advice.

I did as you wrote, but it doesn't work.

Step by step:
1. I installed the NetWorx test version in the "Work" system (WIN 7).
2. I created a symbolic link to the "test_networx" folder located on the disk available to both systems.
3. I launched NetWorx in the "Work" system - "NetWorx.db3" file appeared in the "test_networx" folder.
4. I launched the "Entertainment" system (WIN 7) - the "test_networx" folder is already visible in this system.
5. I installed the NetWorx test version in the "Entertainment" system.
6. I launched NetWorx in the "Entertainment" system - "NetWorx.db3" file appeared in the "test_networx" folder. But this is a file from the "Entertainment" system, not from the "Work" system.

To sum up: NetWorx in both systems uses the "test_networx" folder, but each instance NetWorx transfers its own file "NetWorx.db3" to this folder.

Maybe there is some other way to define the folder for the "NetWorx.db3" file?

Re: How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   29 June 2022, 08:25

This should have worked. Which folders have you redirected?

Basically you need to do this on both systems in an admin command prompt, assuming the shared folder is on drive Z\:
rd %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx /S /Q
mklink /D %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx Z:\test_networx
The first command deletes all data and the folder itself. The second command creates a directory symbolic link.

Now whenever either system reads and writes into %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx all data will be read and written into Z:\test_networx.

There may be an NTFS permission issue if test_networx is on an NTFS drive. In this case granting full access to Everyone should do the trick.

Re: How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   29 June 2022, 18:06

Thank you very much for your help.
I did everything again and now it's okay. smile
I will add only one tip: a data folder (for me "test_networx" ) must exist before creating a symbolic link.

What did I do badly the previous time?
I did not delete %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx folder.
For this reason, I could not create a symbolic link with the parameters:
%PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx M:\test_networx
so I created a link with parameters in reverse order:
M:\test_networx %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx
Link worked "in the opposite direction". wink

Thank you again.

Re: How to use NetWorx on a dual boot computer   29 June 2022, 18:14

Glad to hear it's worked. So here is the updated instructions for anyone wishing to have a shared database in a multiboot config:
mkdir Z:\Some\Folder
rd %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx /S /Q
mklink /D %PROGRAMDATA%\SoftPerfect\NetWorx Z:\Some\Folder
Run this on both systems and there will be a shared database for all NetWorx instances.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.