Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads

Started by Wojtek

Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   30 June 2022, 00:37

I noticed two problems while testing the program. Both appear in the "Monitoring of applications" mode.

If some application begins to download data before NetWorx is started, even after starting NetWorx does not count the data downloaded by that application. The user needs to stop the download and start it again to make NetWorx count the data.

If I exit NetWorx when the application downloads data, then the downloading of that data is interrupted.

The first problem is less important - just part of the statistical data will not be registered.
But the second problem may be troublesome - downloading data from the Internet will fail.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   30 June 2022, 07:48

That's just how application monitoring is implemented.

There is a network driver that attaches to the networking stack for tracking connections. It is unable to track connections that started before it was attached, i.e. before NetWorx was started.

Likewise, there is a tear-down procedure when the driver is detached, i.e. when NetWorx is made to quit. The tear-down procedure may lose a few buffered packets while detaching.

Normally neither of these is an issue for a user, because usually NetWorx starts at system startup and terminates at system shutdown, so all connections are registered and no connections are interrupted.

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   30 June 2022, 17:18

Thanks for the clarification.

In version 7, there are two options:
- monitoring of network adapter,
- monitoring of applications (also excludes local network traffic).

It seems to me that in version 6 (maybe portable?) it was possible to monitor the network card with ignoring traffic in the local network. In such a configuration there was probably no problem with interrupting data download?

The option of monitoring the network card, excluding traffic in the local network, would be enough for me. I don't have to monitor the applications. I am only interested in traffic to/from the Internet, without traffic in the local network.

Is it possible to add this option in version 7?

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   30 June 2022, 22:16

Latest version 6 release had exactly the same options as version 7, only named slightly differently:

1) When you chose a network adapter from the list, it would be the adapter monitoring mode.

2) When you ticked the Ignore LAN traffic option, it would be doing that and recording applications.

Unfortunately it's not possible to monitor an adapter and ignore LAN traffic on it. Some earlier versions before 6.2.8 supported WinPCap for this, but this functionality did not work well and was later removed.

My advice would be that if you want to run NetWorx from time to time, you could simply go with adapter monitoring. The data will include local traffic, but it's unlikely there will be much of it. Otherwise, you could go with applications monitoring and keep NetWorx running permanently, so there will be no issues with connection tracking.

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   01 July 2022, 01:25

Thanks for explanation.

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads   01 July 2022, 06:50

I found information that WinPcap has not been supported since 2013. But instead of it, Npcap was created and supported. Maybe you could use Npcap to monitor the network card and ignore LAN traffic?

I am sorry that I am so obtrusive, but I really like test version of NetWorx and I would like to buy a license. If only there was the function I write about...

Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads - Fixed   04 July 2022, 11:38

We would rather not rely on third-party packages. Instead I am glad to announce that we have fixed connection interruptions upon shutdown.

Please download the latest build here, install it over and reboot. Active connections should no longer be interrupted when you exit NetWorx.

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads - Fixed   04 July 2022, 17:42

I uninstalled the previous version.
I installed the new "Beta" version to a folder with a different name than the previous one.
Unfortunately, the problem still exists - downloading data is interrupted.

Edit.
I noticed that the official version of the installer is the same as the "beta" version (I compared the files binary).
Maybe by mistake, as a "beta" version, is the official version available?

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads - Fixed   04 July 2022, 18:58

Most likely you are seeing identical files because your ISP uses a proxy that gives you an older cached file.

Please try downloading it again using this link. I have added some random characters to the URL, so it will fetch the new file for you.

Re: Exit from NetWorx can interrupt data downloads - Fixed   04 July 2022, 20:26

Now it is working. Thank you very much. I have already bought a license.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.