Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range

Started by WindowsStar

Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range   30 May 2018, 12:49

I keep forgetting to let you know that NetScan will not let me enter 162.213.122.82 /32 as a valid search. I have to put 162.213.122.82 to 162.213.122.82 to scan a single IP. Thanks -WindowsStar
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range   30 May 2018, 15:17

That's because in a single-address CIDR block that IP address would also be the broadcast address.

This IP calculator likewise treats the IP address as broadcast.

You can simply tick the option shown below and /32 addresses should be accepted normally:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range   31 May 2018, 00:50

Yup, that works.

Thanks for the link. Picture worth a thousand words.

Got me thinking is there a more elegant way to handle this so someone doesn't' have to go back and forth checking the box? My thoughts are 162.213.122.82 /32 and a new ICON that indicates Single IP. But you may have a much better suggestion.

Example:
162.213.122.82 /32 (Add Range) (CIDR) Blank (Assign Comment) (NEW ICON) (Enable/Disable)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range   31 May 2018, 10:16

The button is sort of already there wink Simply add your CIDR range:

Then click the arrows to convert it to a plain range, in which there is no broadcast address.

Should you need the CIDR back, just click the same button again:

Re: Not accepting /32 address as a valid CIDR range   01 June 2018, 12:22

smile That is the button I am using that doesn't work because I have to toggle the checkbox for broadcast/network scanning you mentioned. That is why I suggested the new icon. Right now it is three or four mouse clicks to turn it off ... then three or four to turn it back on. The new icon would do all the mouse clicks for single IP? Just a thought nothing that has to be changed... and again you may have a more elegant way of doing it.

Typically I don't scan broadcast/network and use CIDR exclusively. Now and then someone says a server is not working and I naturally enter IP /32 and NetScan gives me the error, I then turn off CIDR and enter the IP twice and scan ... then enter my next network and click the CIDR again to enter the /24 /23 /22 etc. Sometimes I forget and get the error because it will try to change to /32. I have to cancel and enter a range to get back to being able to click CIDR. Thanks -WindowsStar

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.