Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur

Started by Andre

Andre

Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   16 November 2020, 15:39

Hi,
My Mac updated to Big Sur. I downloaded Network Scanner as I used it before and it was fine then. Now it is not working at all: it starts loading, but then stops and closes down. Can you help?

Best regards,
André
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   16 November 2020, 15:58

It looks like it's crashing with macOS 11 (Big Sur) for some reason. The current NetScanner release for macOS is about 3 years old and is essentially no longer maintained. Instead, we are in the process of porting the Windows version of NetScanner to macOS, which will of course work on macOS 11 as well. The added benefit is that the new macOS release will have most of the Windows version's functionality.

We estimate this should take another month or two, after which there will be one application for Windows and macOS. So I am afraid we can't fix the Big Sur-induced crashing right away, but soon you will have a more capable product that works with the latest macOS.
Dane

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   16 November 2020, 22:54

Excellent news from SoftPerfect! I'm happy to wait for as long as all the coding and testing takes if that means getting a much more advanced Network Scanner by SoftPerfect for macOS wink
Connor

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   17 November 2020, 22:14

The OP is lucky! Non-functioning Net Scanner sounds like a minor issue to me. In my case, Big Sur bricked my MacBook Pro: black screen and dead as a dodo after the update. The only thing that helped was recovery boot; then installing Catalina again. But many people say that even safe/recovery boot doesn't revive their Macs.

So those who haven't updated their macOS yet, you may like to wait, especially if you have an older Mac. Apple's Big Sur is a Big Disaster.

Very good news about the upcoming Net Scanner release though. I'm sure Softperfect's creation will be much better quality than what Apple rolled out. Take your time guys, we want quality. The place of the manufacturer of hasty releases and buggy software is already taken by Apple anyways. laugh
Erin

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   19 November 2020, 10:42

Great news about the new NetworkScanner ok, yes, thumb up
Not so great about the problems with macOS11. Why oh why does Apple need to break useful things and add useless cr@p in every update?? Grrrr... And then all other software developers have to pick up the pieces.
Mark

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   24 November 2020, 11:09

Like everybody else here, me too is happily waiting for the new NetScanner. A great product is in the process of becoming the best of them all, and that surely takes time. On top of it, the team behind SoftPerfect is second to none. Great software products, outstanding support, and ultra useful website. If only the big corporations were half this good.........
SemDenHaag

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   01 December 2020, 08:35

Wonderful!!! Softperfect will be the best IP Scanner for Mac OS!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   10 December 2020, 16:50

Just an update for you guys. We have achieved a major milestone (it compiles laugh) in converting the Windows-only network scanner to a multiplatform application, but it's not yet ready for release.

With a quality and well-tested product in mind, we will need another few weeks for testing everything thoroughly and producing a beta-version for both Windows and macOS.

Stay tuned and happy holidays!
Connor

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   10 December 2020, 19:34

Thanks for the update. I'd rather see quality than a rushed release, so happy to wait. wink
J.

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   23 December 2020, 01:01

Thank you for working on this.

// Take care and stay safe. This COVID hasn't finished with any of us yet; far from it.

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   24 December 2020, 08:54

Thank you guys, we are currently testing and fixing things in both Windows and macOS versions. They are now built from the same source code, and are almost identical, except for some features that use Windows-only functionality and naturally not present in the macOS version.

Here is a couple of screen shots of what it looks like on both systems:

SoftPerfect support forum

SoftPerfect support forum
SemDenHaag

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   29 December 2020, 12:40

Splendid! Excellent progress! ok, yes, thumb up
Hope you have some good time during the holidays. Keep safe.
Connor

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   29 December 2020, 15:13

Looks great!

What I absolutely love about SoftPerfect is the real and highly skilled people engaged in a helpful and meaningful conversation (in addition to the super informative web site, and excellent quality software!). None of that useless, faceless corporate copy\paste bullshit we all get from the industry "leaders" and even from many smaller companies.....
Martin

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   30 December 2020, 12:27

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the creators of Softperfect Net Scanner for this awesome tool and for making it available for Windows and macOS. It has such tremendous functionality and solves so many problems we have to deal with on a daily basis.

Happy New Year and the very best of everything in 2021
Andreas

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   13 January 2021, 17:44

I'm looking forward to the Mac version smile smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   14 January 2021, 16:19

@Andreas: Keep an eye on this page, as the beta should be out in the next few days. wink
We'll publish it here, and would love to see everyone trying it and sharing their feedback.

Re: Issues after updating macOS to Big Sur   19 January 2021, 17:58

We have released the new Network Scanner for macOS. Now its Windows and macOS versions are built from the same source code and share most of their functionality. The application should work well on both Windows and macOS systems, including Big Sur.

Please download the latest version of Network Scanner for macOS, and share your feedback here or via our help desk.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.