Create a ramdisk upon demand

Started by Rob

Rob

Create a ramdisk upon demand   17 January 2013, 10:44

Is there a way to have a permanent ramdisk which does not get automatically created at system start or user login?

Motivation:

I work with certain files every couple of weeks or so. I would like to create a ramdisk for those files and have the contents automatically saved at system shutdown. Since I do not work with the files daily, I do not want the ramdisk to be automatically created each time I start the system (which is daily). I want to create it on a as-needed-basis.

I don't see how this is possible because as soon as you assoicate an image file with the ram disk, it is automatically created.
Ali Malik Gürbüz

Create a ramdisk upon demand   12 March 2013, 00:41

I am looking for the same option. Some of the screenshots have RAMDISKS labeled as, Mount on log on etc, but there is no documentation i could found about how to creating them.

I want to use ramdisks with images, but i just want them to be mounted when i want. not everytime my pc boots. ( I dont play that game everytime i use my pc for example) . And it may prevent creating more than 1 Ramdisk at a time. If all load at the same time, not enought ram!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Create a ramdisk upon demand   13 March 2013, 11:39

There are two RAM disk types available.

1) Disks created and mounted when the system starts. Those are created via Disk - Add Boot Disk.

2) Disks created and mounted when a user logs on. Those are created via Disk - Add Disk.

Now if you want to have an on-demand disk, create the latter via Disk - Add Disk.

This disk remembers its mount state. If you click Unmount the disk will be dismounted, but will stay in the list of disks. After a restart it won't be mounted until you click Mount.

This is how you can mount/unmount a disk on demand without having to delete it.
Ali Malik Gürbüz

Create a ramdisk upon demand   14 March 2013, 06:12

Strange thing is, i found the same solution myself when trying options. And when i check back to write it here, i saw your post.

So its partially user fault wink

But i still think this method should be mentioned in help. Or the feature of the disk that "it remembers" its state.

Thank you for your help.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.