Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing

Started by Paul25

Paul25

Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing   19 March 2019, 15:21

Can I use RAMdisk for video editing? I want to make 1 or 3 RAM drives for small HD videos. Two for storage and one for rendering, or just one for rendering with 2 HDs.
I have 24GB 1800 DDR3 RAM, two 1GB sata3 HDs, two 120 SSDs sata3 raid0, two 240G SSD sata6 raid0 for Windows 10 Pro, Intel X990 i7 3.4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX970 and Asus P6x58d-e MB.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing   20 March 2019, 00:27

You can of course, but the gains in productivity will really depend on the editing software you are using.

If the software creates a lot of temporary files in Windows %TEMP% folder, or if it can be configured to use a specific drive for its cache, then RAM Disk can be beneficial. Simply speaking, a RAM disk is just a very fast disk-like device backed by RAM. It will benefit applications and operations involving heavy I/O, especially with data temporary in nature.

I recommend checking this beginner's guide, that may help you better understand how it works and what advantages to expect.
Berger

Re: Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing   26 November 2021, 02:27

Magix Video x 13 and RAMdisk 32GB?
Viele Grüße
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing   26 November 2021, 09:04

Sorry we are not familiar with Magix software and can't really advise on setting it up with RAM Disk. If the software uses a cache and it can be configured in its settings, then you can point it to a RAM disk and this will greatly speed up operation.

Alternatively you can save your video and project files on a RAM disk and open them with Magix software. This will speed things up, but bear in mind that a data loss may occur if the system crashes or restarts, because RAM disks are volatile in nature. All their contents is gone on reboot.

The best way to make sure you get the desired improvements would be to use the free trial of the RAM Disk and see how it performs for you.
John B

Re: Using RAM Disk to speed up video editing   03 April 2022, 19:48

I run Magix (Vegas post) and do all my editing in RAM disk with an image. Gosh it's just the flipping best!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.