New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters

Started by Ann

SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   26 October 2020, 16:50

Following the user feedback, we have implemented the suggestions in the new build as follows:
  • It is now possible to select a group for scanning, which will automatically select all switches in that group.
  • Added a new setting that allows you not to display individual devices in groups in the drop-down list.
  • The SNMPv3 discovery settings now support profiles, so you can define several sets of SNMPv3 settings.
  • Added new items to the pop-up menu: Open Switch and Get Switch Info.

The Get Switch Info menu item lets you see the switch properties, including its model name, directly from any row. You can choose a line and get the details about the switch associated with that line. Likewise, the Open Switch menu item lets you launch Putty or any other application against the switch associated with the selected line.

When using the Open Switch menu, the %0 argument is replaced with the switch IP address. When using the Open Client menu, the %0 argument is replaced with the client device IP address.

SoftPerfect support forum

Big thanks to Darren(r1993r) for the suggestions! Your feedback is very valuable and will definitely benefit other users. wink
Wow!.. They have all been implemented fantastically! Thank you very much!

I know this next bit is way beyond the scope, and probably something I can take further, although it is a little out of my comfort zone... I'm now trying to find out if I can run a command against an interface to say change vlan or shut/unshut. So far, I've found this, which should change it to UP:
snmpset -v1 -c community hostname IF-MIB::ifAdminStatus.interface i 1
Hostname would be the %0 and "interface" would be the port ID, so would it be possible to offer up the port ID as an option to insert e.g, %1? So in theory:
snmpset -v1 -c community %0 IF-MIB::ifAdminStatus.i%1 i 1
I'm hoping that I could then develop scripts or various commands to perform specific tasks to interfaces, just to speed up certain tasks.

Thanks again for all of you work, it is really appreciated!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   27 October 2020, 15:08

That should be possible now: we have just added a way to refer to a column and pop up a user prompt, in the same way it's done in our Network Scanner.

Here is the screen shot and the new build:

Please let us know how this works for you. You should also be able to run any scripts, e.g. Python or VBScript.
Sounds good!! Thanks again for all your help. These extra functions will certainly go a long way in making mundane tasks much quicker to do, and all from within a single UI.
Thanks!!

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   19 November 2020, 21:50

Hi. I've been using Port Mapper on a daily basis, and I can't emphasise enough how much easier it has made our job in troubleshooting issues, and is saving us a lot of time. The only downside being I can now fix more issues remotely, so I'm getting a little less exercise laugh

Could I possible make a few more suggestions please?

Could you make the list of groups appear in alphanumerical order? I think they just appear in the list in order they were added. We are likely to have around 80+ groups, so having them in some order would make finding them much quicker!

Is it possible to be able to have more than one filter, as in the Network Scanner?

If we need to go back to an existing group of switches to add an additional, could we have an option to rescan the group without having to re-enter all of the network info again? I noticed that I can select an existing target group, but it still requires manual input of associated settings for that group.

Thanks again!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   19 November 2020, 22:43

Thank you for your feedback. In order to sort the groups and switches alphabetically, simply click the heading in the device manager as shown below. They will be sorted alphabetically and this will also apply to the drop-down list in the main screen.

Regarding multiple filters, sounds like a good idea. We'll do that shortly.

Regarding the last item, I am afraid I don't quite understand. Could you please describe step by step what you want to be able to do?

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   20 November 2020, 05:26

Thanks Andrew... I hadn't tried that approach to sort as it just didn't dawn on me that that would work - cheers!

Re the final.. so I've already scanned a subnet, added the devices into a group, but then added a new switch to the rack, so I want to re-discover/scan the existing group. It could be useful that when I get to Manage Devices, select an existing Group, then Discover, that the group I had selected would repopulate the associated network info and SNMP creds. So I can simply rescan an existing group to add a new switch without having to re-enter the network info. Hope that makes sense...
Attachments:
open | download – add switch.jpg (205.5 KB)

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   20 November 2020, 22:46

We have just implemented multiple filters support as shown below. The new builds can be downloaded here.

Regarding saving and repopulating IP settings and SNMP credentials, while it may be useful for your specific workflow, it's not something that can be easily done.
  • First of all, groups are not stored anywhere as such. Essentially groups are just additional tags like 'Device A' in in 'Group A' and 'Device B' is in 'Group B'.
  • Second, even if we kept groups separately, there is a number of potential conflicts. For example: you scanned a subnet and added devices to group A. Then you scanned more devices in a different subnet and also added them to group A. Now group A's saved settings are different from the ones used in the latest scan. There need to be some kind of conflict resolution, which is counter-intuitive and difficult to implement.

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   21 November 2020, 00:39

Thanks Andrew, and I understand, cheers for the explanation.

Perhaps to make adding a single device a little easier, would you be able to offer the SNMPv3 profiles into the Add Device section, or perhaps even an option to duplicate the SNMP info between switch and router?

Have a great weekend!

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   23 November 2020, 21:50

Sure, sounds like a good idea. Done both and the new builds are available here.
  • SNMPv3 profiles support in every SNMPv3 input pane.
  • A couple of buttons to copy switch settings to router settings and vice versa.

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   24 November 2020, 23:24

Awesome work... thank you very much... all works great!!!

One of the things that has been raised in the team, and I just wanted to throw it over to you, was if you ever considered having the option for a username/password login to access the app? The app has the capability to reconfigure and access switches, so protecting access to the app would add a layer of security, along with the encryption of the XML/settings file. I realise this probably goes way beyond the scope of your project, but just thought it was worth a mention.

We are using this and the scanner on a very regular basis and both are certainly having a big impact on what would otherwise be laborious tasks!

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   25 November 2020, 06:53

It is indeed beyond the scope of the application itself.

If security is a concern, I recommend creating an encrypted container and placing the portable version of the Port Mapper into it. This way the application itself and all its configuration data will be reliably encrypted. An encrypted container can be created with built-in Windows tools (VHD/VHDX with BitLocker) or an open-source tool like VeraCrypt.

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   25 November 2020, 19:53

Fantastic, thanks for that tip.. that should do nicely!

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   18 December 2020, 21:09

Hi, hope you are all well...

I hope you don't mind me making some further observations/suggestion... and I'm not inertially nit-picking, as you are making it increasingly more difficult for me to find things to tweak!! wink smile

Would it be at all possible to be able to hide/minimise the filters once applied, to allow for more information to be displayed in the main list? We quite often have several filters in play, which can occupy quite a lot of space.

I know one of the things I requested a while back, and you did offer one solution, to display the switch model in a column. You provided the ability to right click and "Get Switch Info" which is great. But, for example, when scanning a big list of ports trying to identify which interfaces provide Power, being able to see the switch model in a column would provide this instantly.

Model name WS-C3850-48P-S
The 48P tells us this is a 48 port switch with Power.

I always hate to burden you as I'm sure you are a very busy, but I do hope you find the suggestions of value to such an awesome tool!

Anyway, all the best... and have a great Christmas!
Attachments:
open | download – filters.JPG (78.5 KB)

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   19 December 2020, 15:39

We always welcome useful suggestions as we strive to create great software.

We have just added a button to fold/unfold the filter pane when multiple conditions are present. It looks like this when unfolded:

and like this when folded:

It also shows how many filters are hidden.

Regarding having switch model in a separate column, I am afraid that's a little challenging to implement while not directly useful. If I may suggest something instead: why not just add a letter in the switch name when you save the device? You could name your devices in a pattern like Location - Model - PoE, or put any other useful information in that name shown in the Switch column.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! smile

Re: New features: groups, profiles, get switch info, command line parameters   19 December 2020, 17:45

Excellent many thanks! I understand about the latter and yes, that would be an option for us...

Thanks again ok, yes, thumb up

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.