High CPU usage

Started by BigAl

High CPU usage   09 December 2019, 16:39

High together

I'm using NetGenius on my Notebook with Windows 10. The Notebook is a state of the art machine with i9-Processor, 16 GB RAM, NVidia graphics and so on. NetGenius is just installed and should listen to my traffic. No blocking, speed limits etc is configured. But only the running NetGenius produces a high CPU traffic.

Attached some captures from the Task-Manager.

Why is this? What can I do to avoid this?

Alex
Attachments:
open | download – Task-Manager - 2019-12-09 07_31_43.png (6.4 KB)
open | download – Task-Manager - 2019-12-09 07_33_50.png (46.1 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: High CPU usage   09 December 2019, 23:50

High CPU usage is possible, as even though NetGenius only listens to your traffic, it still has to process every network packet and classify it by application.

Having said that, it is our new product and there may still be room for performance optimisations. Do you know how much data NetGenius was handling during this CPU spike? In other words, how fast is your Internet connection?

Re: High CPU usage   10 December 2019, 18:34

Ok, some observations:

1. After rebooting the computer sometimes NetGenius shows high CPU usage.
2. If NetGenius shows high CPU usage only a reboot of the machine helps. It will not drop by itself.
3. If NetGenius works ok it stays ok. Therefore high CPU usage is there at all or not there at all.
4. My Intenet speed is > 400 MBit but most of the time only a few Bytes per second are used...
5. It seems, that the initialization of NetGenius most of the times works well but sometimes fails (high CPU)
6. Even when NetGenius shows high CPU the measured speed seems to be correct.
7. The computer where I observed this has many network connection (2 x Ethernet, WLan, Virtual Network, VPN...). Usually only 1 Ethernet is used to handle all transfers.

If you need more information please tell me. I like the product (except some flaws) and I'm looking forward what it becomes in the future. I own both, NetGenius and NetWorx but I do not like how NetWorks shows usage in the Task-Bar...

Alex
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: High CPU usage   11 December 2019, 12:55

Thank you for sharing the additional observations.

The intermittent nature of this issue along with using a VPN service suggests there may be packet loops, where a third-party network driver and the NetGenius's driver keep forwarding a packet to each other causing above-normal CPU usage.

We have added a workaround in the latest build, please give it a go and let me know how it works for you.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.