IP address history/log

Started by Danny

Danny

IP address history/log   10 March 2020, 17:09

Dear SoftPerfect,

I switched from NetWorx to NetGenius as I love the insight it gives me into the connections that are being made. What I am missing though is a place to see any logging/history on the IP addresses that have been contacted. I can see it in real time, but no historic data. I would love to see this as well as it can help with some troubleshooting issues.

Thanks!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: IP address history/log   10 March 2020, 17:18

Historic records are not a part of NetGenius, and we are not planning to implement this feature because:
  1. It is relatively rarely needed.
  2. It is rarely usable (an application like web-browser or torrent client would create hundreds of thousands records).
  3. A large number of records will result in a large database (some users of NetWorx, where this feature is present, complained about 25+ GB database file after just a few months).
Danny

Re: IP address history/log   10 March 2020, 17:27

Since I also have a NetWorx license, I reinstalled it to see if it indeed does IP logging. However I cannot see where to access that.

I tried to enable logging but it only showed me usage info, not actual connections on IP and Application level. Can you tell me how to do this?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: IP address history/log   10 March 2020, 17:39

NetWorx doesn't keep a log as such, but rather a per-application per-IP address statistics.

To see it, you need to be using the installed version of NetWorx (the portable version doesn't have this feature because it requires a driver to be installed). Then go to Settings and enable the Ignore local traffic within the LAN setting. After that, you should be able to see applications and their per-IP address usage as shown below:

SoftPerfect support forum

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.