"Ignore Local Traffic" option no longer available in portable version

Started by overworxed

"Ignore Local Traffic" option no longer available in portable version   06 January 2013, 23:42

Thought I'd solved / gotten help for portable 64 bit NW, how to see and select option to Ignore Local Traffic...LAN for my Intel network card - in the Monitored Interfaces drop box. For a few days, that option was available. After shut down PC last night & boot this morning, that option is no longer available.

The "Intel xxxxx Gigabit Network Connection" IS available, but no longer with the option to Ignore Local Traffic.
Issue was discussed & thought solved in this topic

Made no changes in NW settings yesterday - while still working correctly. Event Viewer shows nothing for NW during startup today. Checked Kaspersky FW - NW isn't blocked - allowed as trusted app.

Looked in Process Explorer and under NW's dlls - shows wpcap.dll is running (assume for WinPCap). NetWorx is set to start with Windows (which it did), but after boot, NW icon showed an 'X'. In settings, saw monitored interface box was blank and option mentioned above was missing. Closed / restarted NW couple times - no luck. Chose another interface (Intel card without option to ignore local traffic), applied, closed / restarted NW to see if would "bring back" missing options. Nope.
The selected Intel network conn. (w/o option to ignore LAN) is monitoring traffic / showing reasonable values.

Wpcap.dll - same version - is installed in both Windows\System32 & SysWOW64. Below is WinPCap install log:

WinPcap 4.1.0.2001 Installation LOG
----------
Debug Information

Operating system detected on registry: vista - AMD64
True operating system (kernel.dll): Vista - AMD64
npptools.dll present on the system: false
netnm.inf present on the system: false
nmnt.sys present on the system: false

End of log

Any ideas? Thanks.

Side Note: Explanation in Help file on using WinPCap with portables seems clearer.

"Ignore LAN" option no longer available in portable version   07 January 2013, 03:53

"Ignore LAN" no longer an option in portable   07 January 2013, 12:53

I read your other thread. Interesting, but doesn't speak to my new issue, where options in monitored interfaces drop box that were there for last few days, suddenly aren't. Specifically ones including "Ignore Local Traffic."

Note: Looked at the sqlite DB - but don't see many of the options stored in it. (I asked where prefs were stored) Unless the app I use - Sqlite Manager Fx addon, doesn't display the file completely. It opens it w/ no problem & layout looks like all other sqlite files I've seen.

Maybe don't know what I'm looking for / at, but don't see options stored like which interface was chosen to monitor; whether "Monitor All Networks I connect to," or "Only the network (listed below" is selected.

"Ignore LAN" option unavailable in portable   07 January 2013, 16:26

.......doesn't speak to my new issue, where options in monitored interfaces drop box that were there for last few days, suddenly aren't. Specifically "Ignore local traffic within the LAN: Microsoft" is missing.

No idea why they went missing. Did you change some other config?
I have that option in all 3 of my NW instances.

Try deleting the current portable folder and start a fresh portable -or- try the installed version which is what I use.
I put the portable versions on just to test other monitoring options including measuring only within the LAN (i.e. excluding internet) which led me to conclude the installed monitoring the router was the best.

select option to Ignore Local Traffic...LAN" for my Intel network card - in the Monitored Interfaces drop box. For few days, that option was available. After shut down pc last night & boot this AM, that option is no longer available.

The portable has the check box greyed out, assuming that's what you mean by "option", regardless of which monitored interface you've chosen.
The installed has the check box active, but if ticked, the only monitored interface is "All connections".

"Ignore Local Traffic" option unavailable in portable NetWorx   08 January 2013, 01:27

Andrew,
Found the cause behind options disappearing in portable NW, in monitored interfaces drop box, that had "Ignore Local Traffic" attached to them. But don't know exactly why or the solution.

Turns out, when I selected "Load on Windows Startup" in main settings tab, it starts - but apparently doesn't have proper rights in some areas (possibly bug in NW).

Went back & manually restarted NW by "Run as Administrator," with "Load on Windows Startup" still checked. Immediately the 2 missing options containing "Ignore Local Traffic," reappeared. I selected the one for Intel card & seemed to work - didn't verify any rates. But they were there.

I rebooted machine into normal user acct, just to make sure that was cause. Again, the options w/ Ignore Local Traffic were gone & tray icon had big 'X'.

So, (oddly) if MANUALLY start NW under user acct WITHOUT selecting "Load on Windows Startup," the Ignore Local Traffic options ARE available in drop box.
But if load NW automatically w/ Windows, in same user acct, the monitored interface options w/ "Ignore Local Traffic" aren't shown.

I understand Vista UAC & admin rights pretty well, but usually if certain access / options are restricted by permissions, it doesn't matter if the process is started w/ Windows or manually. If the user acct doesn't have proper rights, they don't have it. This is obviously a flaw in Vista's security plan - or NW bug. If it allows "Everyone" full access to WinPCap & / or a network card, when MANUALLY starting NW under a user acct, but denies certain access to same processes / network card if NW is started w/ Windows (if that's a good description of what's happening), then the security plan in this issue is flawed / compromised.

I looked at permissions on ALL NW portable files in its folder (accessing them from my user acct) - all had 'Everyone' listed w/ full control (as evident by NW presenting "Ignore Local Traffic" options, when NW is started manually in a user acct.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

"Ignore Local Traffic" no londer an option in portable   08 January 2013, 09:31

Try reinstalling/updating WinPCap and make sure it's set to start automatically with Windows.

"Ignore Local Traffic" no longer an option in portable   08 January 2013, 11:04

I'm not sure that will help - because of WinPCap FAQ explanation of this issue.

As said, the security logic for WinPCap is strange & their website confirms this.

www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-7

Q-7: Do I need to be Administrator in order to execute programs based on WinPcap on Windows NT/2000/XP?

A: Yes/no. The security model of WinPcap is quite poor, and we plan to work on it in the future. At the moment, if you execute a WinPcap-based application for the first time since the last reboot, you must be administrator. At the first execution, the driver will be dynamically installed in the system, and from that moment every user will be able to use WinPcap to sniff the packets.

It's not a service, so other than scheduling a task (which would STILL require UAC permission), don't know there's another way to make sure it starts w/ Windows. Their FAQ makes it sound like that wouldn't matter anyway. Their explanation is dead on w/ what I saw - that after a reboot (doesn't matter if "Load on Windows Startup" is checked or not) - the monitored interfaces in NW portable requiring WinPCap (the "Ignore Local Traffic" ones) aren't available UNTIL start NW once in that session as an admin. Then it works fine - for rest of the session, even if close / restart NW. Which makes no sense from a security standpoint. So I don't think reinstalling WinPCap will help.

If one wanted to use NW portables, wants option to ignore local traffic, & wants NW to start w/ Windows, it'd have to start in admin mode, meaning a UAC prompt, if running a user acct.
That's not terrible, but might miss some traffic. Not quite as convenient. Me - I'd forget to start it ~ 90% of time. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this issue for portables before.

I like to use portables when possible, but unless you can figure out a way around this w/o having to manually start NW as an admin - once per boot; or if changes were made, so when NW portable is set to auto start, it runs in admin mode (which unfortunately would require UAC input, if in a user acct), it may be the installer pkg for me.
Thank you sooooooo much for the solution to re-install WinPcap!

I had exactly the same problem as the person you tried to help here.
Instead of arguing, he should have just re-installed winpcap immediately and his problem would've been solved instantly.

Thanks again so much for your bright mind.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.