Updated NetWorx - lost usage history

Started by Walt

Walt

Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   24 November 2015, 23:46

Updated Networx - lost 11 months of usage history.
What is the file name of where this is stored? Maybe I can find it in one of my recent Image backups and copy it to where it belongs?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

How to recover NetWorx usage history - where it is stored   25 November 2015, 08:51

It's in NetWorx.DB in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx, which is usually

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SoftPerfect\NetWorx (Windows XP)
C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx (Windows Vista and above)
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 09:57

Updated Networx, lost all usage history. I need last month's, where can I find it? Windows 7
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 10:09

Me again. I tries the above, from Andrew, but Windows 7 won't open it. Tried downloading SQLite, but was stymied. Any suggestions?

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   29 November 2015, 10:20

Could you please provide more details regarding your statement "Windows 7 won't open it"? Is there an error message or something else? If there is a message, what does it say?
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   02 December 2015, 11:44

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew. When I put C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\NetWorx into the "search programs and files" bar I get 3 possibilities: an Adobe Reader version (db-wal file), which when I click on tells me "There was an error opening this document. This file is already open or in use by another application."; a Windows version (db-shm file), which says "Windows can't open this file" then says I can select a program from the list it offers or find one on the web (no luck there, so far); and a Word Pad version (db) which says the same as the Adobe Reader version.

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   02 December 2015, 13:29

These are NetWorx database files (in the SQLite format), it doesn't make sense to try to open them in other programs.

Normally when you update NetWorx to a newer version all usage data is preserved. My best guess would be you performed an uninstall first and NetWorx (being a good program that cleans up after itself) removed your usage data. In this case there is no way to recover it unless you have backup copies.
Jan

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 15:27

Thanks again, Andrew. Yes I did uninstall first, as when I try to install Networx, a window pops up and says the program is already running and needs to be closed. I'm not running it anywhere, so I figured the only way to install it, I needed to uninstall it first. Not so? Anyway, I guess October's data usage record is lost, so no big matter, I'll have to jot down the month's usage somewhere so if there's an update, I won't lose it.

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 17:18

In order to update to a newer version, yes you do need to close the running app, but it does not mean uninstall it wink

Re: Updated NetWorx - lost usage history   05 December 2015, 19:17

Close any programs that automatically download 'stuff', such as e-mail.
Don't do this when your AV is scheduled to update... etc. You don't want to lose that history...

Then:
Double click the Networx install file.
When that message pops up and you need to Close the program: right click on the icon in the systray OR left click on the icon in the task bar.
Select Exit.
Carry on with the install.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.