Accuracy of usage calculation, reasons for this usage

Started by Alan Mason

Alan Mason

Accuracy of usage calculation, reasons for this usage   10 December 2015, 17:48

Hi
Have had an issue regarding download usage, have 25 GB limit with Sky Fibre, in one month I have used 96 GB, it reset to zero yesterday so from 12.00 last night to 07.00 am with only my computer on, using your programme it shows 5.61 GB usage, SKY shows 4GB.

So no internet, skybox off, no movies, emails, music videos, loads of spikes on your graph upto 3.9 Mb/s during this period. Is this usage normal when nothing is running?
Regards
Alan Mason

Re: Accuracy of usage calculation, reasons for this usage   10 December 2015, 18:13

it reset to zero yesterday so from 12.00 last night to 07.00 am with only my computer on, using your programme it shows 5.61 GB usage, SKY shows 4GB.

If NetWorx is showing 40% higher usage than sky it may mean that you're not measuring the right connection with ignore local traffic set ON.

in one month I have used 96 GB and in 7 hours have used 4GB

Were you billed for 96GB? If yes, you might be part of a bot net.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Accuracy of usage calculation, reasons for this usage   12 December 2015, 21:45

Probably you are monitoring a connection that also carries local traffic between your computer and other devices in your LAN. In this case, I'd recommend to turn on the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option to get more accurate readings.

As to whether it's normal: no it's not normal. I recommend to activate the above option, then go to Tools - NetStat and observe what application is causing this activity. You will also be able to see day-to-day per-application usage in the Applications tab in the NetWorx reports.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.