Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation"

Started by zed12

Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation"   09 March 2022, 06:06

NetWorx does not start. I get this error on my Windows 11 x64 21H2. I've tried numerous versions they all come up with the same error.

Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\NetWorx\networx.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 623.
{Illegal system DLL relocation}
The system DLL %hs was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.
The relocation occurred because the DLL %hs occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

SoftPerfect support forum
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation"   09 March 2022, 13:33

That's really odd. I can only think of the relocation table that we strip from EXE files to reduce their size. This may cause issues when running NetWorx in a sandbox or similar isolated container.

Kindly try the latest build with the relocation table intact and let me know if this works for you.

Re: Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation"   06 November 2022, 13:46

Sorry for the delay, I will keep this in my browser so I do not miss your next message. I am using the latest version 7.1, and the issue persists. I will test another version if you need to add the relocation table again, or if you still have a copy you referenced here.

Re: Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation"   08 November 2022, 15:53

We have re-added the relocation information in the latest builds. Please try running those on your system and let me know how it works.
It's working now! Thank you very much!

I suspect the global exploit protection I have enabled in Windows may have played a role in this:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Program fails to load "CreateProcess failed; code 623. Illegal system DLL relocation" - Fixed   08 November 2022, 19:32

Yes, it's the Mandatory ASLR that needs to relocate the EXE image in memory.

Thanks for letting us know. Relocation information will now be included in all future builds.
That is what I suspected. I've been wanting to use NetWorx for a year now. I really appreciate that. Thank you for patching it up and increasing its security.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.