Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros

Started by Ken

Ken

Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   04 April 2013, 03:07

WiFi Gaurd keeps finding an unrecognized device with Mac address 00-00-00-00-00-00, Vendor Xerox Corporation. My Modem which also handles my WiFi shows no such device connected or ever having been connected. Should I be concerned?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   04 April 2013, 12:03

No, it sounds more like a bug in the WiFi Guard. What version are you using?
I am using version 1.0.2
auscompgeek

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   07 April 2013, 17:37

This also looks like a bug to me. For me, all devices except my computer are shown as MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00.

Screenshot:
[image expired]

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (i386), WiFi Guard 1.0.2

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   09 April 2013, 01:22

It definitely shouldn't be like this.

Could you please take a screen shot or post the text output of the arp -van command when the WiFi Guard happens to show zero MAC addresses?
auscompgeek

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   18 May 2013, 12:33

I can confirm that arp shows the correct MAC address whereas SoftPerfect WiFi Guard still shows 00:00:00:00:00:00 on a network with only two devices (my laptop and router).

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   18 May 2013, 15:51

On what system? Linux, Mac OS, Windows?
Doogie

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   27 July 2013, 01:39

I too have exactly this problem; an unrecognized Xerox Corp device, MAC 00-00-00-00-00-00. So did someone on this forum in Nov 2012. I guess just a harmless bug.
rajnath oberoi

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   09 August 2013, 15:13

First of all WiFi Guard is awesome! It works beautifully! Thanks!

Today it found this device on my network:
192.168.2.4 00-00-00-00-00-00 --- XEROX CORPORATION

My net connection was getting disconnected frequently and so today I disconnected the router and used my modem to connect directly to find WiFi Guard warning me of this unrecognized device. I was surprised because WiFi Guard did not find any such device before when I was connecting through my router. Would it be possible for WiFi Guard to BLOCK such unknown devices? Do let us know ...

And excellent product - thanks!
Rajnath

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   12 August 2013, 00:41

Unfortunately this is not really possible to block those devices from software. Your router however may have this feature, just log into its web-interface and look for something like 'MAC address filter' or 'blacklist', where you can block these devices.

Note though, that in this case WiFi Guard was unable to determine the correct MAC address. Perhaps you can see it in the router's interface.
Erland

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   30 November 2013, 19:38

Windows 8.1 Pro with Wifi Guard v1.0.2 started giving the same message about Xerox that I don't have with 00-00-00-00-00-00 on my wifi network card although I use LAN card mainly.

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   30 November 2013, 20:32

Please try the latest version.
MrTommy007

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   01 December 2013, 03:00

I just sent an email to SoftPerfect about this exact thing on our system. It didn't show up at first. I installed the WiFi Guard about two weeks ago and all of a sudden today the XEROX thing shows up. No MAC address. And I've got no idea where this is showing up from. Apparently many of us are finding this 'announcement'. Sure would be nice to lay this to rest - somehow.
I bet you have a printer in your house or somewhere nearby that someone tried to WPS to your network. That printer then went into AP mode and is essentially acting like your main AP, hence having the same SSID. This seems to be what happened to me recently although I am still investigating.
Frank

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   19 December 2014, 23:43

I have the problem X4 addresses. All show 0 for Mac and Xerox Corp for provider. I don't have a WPS printer connection. Cannot get them to go away even across restart.

Any ideas how to get rid of this?

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   20 December 2014, 21:39

dj

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   14 January 2015, 04:27

I had this same thing with an unknown mac address with all 0 s. The new version of WiFi Guard seems to have fixed it.
Divan Williamson

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   16 January 2018, 18:21

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem, although I have a Dell Sonicwall and on the traffic monitor it gives me the MAC for the Video Conferencing device, namely a Huawei TE20, but also it has an entry on the same IP address with the MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 and the Src Vendor is Xerox Corporation.

I have changed the IP address on the VC as we have no Xerox printer in the building. Sure as bob the Xerox corporation IP on the traffic monitor also changed to the same IP address, but suddenly has a lot more entries using different ports. I'm thinking either it is hacked or there sits a controller inside the Huawei which is the xerox, although the former seems more likely. Any ideas on what it could be?

The issue is that every conference call, to the second, it cuts out on 15 minutes and 7 seconds. Everytime.

Re: Unrecognised device, MAC address all zeros   16 January 2018, 20:13

That is probably a very old version of WiFi Guard you have, which contained a bug that resulted in some MAC addresses being reported as 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Historically a zero MAC address was allocated to Xerox, that's why it is reported as "Xerox", but it really was just a small bug. The newer versions of WiFi Guard don't have this issue.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.