SoftPerfect RAM Disk
How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image
Started by Dan
How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 16 July 2022, 16:10
Re: How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 16 July 2022, 16:14
Registered: 10 years ago
To increase the size of RAM disk with an image:
- Create a new image file of the size you want via Image - Create Image in the main menu (if you are making the image larger, make sure that your computer has enough free RAM to accommodate that).
- Mount this image file via Image - Mount Image.
- Copy your data from your RAM disk to the newly mounted image.
- Unmount the new image via Image - Unmount Image.
- In the RAM disk properties select the new image for it.
- Reboot your computer (for the RAM disks where data isn't written/read at that moment, it is safe to simply remount the disk instead of rebooting the computer).
- Now you should have a disk with the new size and with your old data. The old image file can now be deleted.
Re: How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 18 July 2022, 08:54
Here is a related question: I am using the RAM disk for day trading programs. I install these programs completely into the RAM disk, which allows them to run very very fast.
I know that I need to create an image file first and then mount that image file on a RAM disk to create a disk that Windows can see, and one that is copied and replaced each time I reboot the computer.
My goal is to create the fastest RAM disk possible for this application. Honestly I am a little bit confused by all the different
choices, including which format to select, whether I need to tick "emulate hard drive" which is slower, etc.
Can you please walk me through the steps of the selections that you would make to create the best possible arrangement this for the above situation? Walking me through the correct creation of the image file, best format to select, and then mounting that file onto the RAM disk.
Note that I am running Windows 10.
I really like this product, but I remain confused on how best use it.
Thank you so much for your assistance!
Re: How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 18 July 2022, 12:14
Registered: 10 years ago
- exFAT normally is a little faster, as it has a simpler structure compared to NTFS. NTFS includes extra data and functions for a greater reliability, but this has a lesser importance for the volatile nature of a RAM disk.
- Hard disk emulation is only beneficial for the applications that need direct access to disk partitions. Most applications don't need it and can run faster without it.
We have a generic guide on how to create a persistent RAM disk, meaning it will keep its data between sessions. If you install the trading software on such disk, it will run faster.
However, the bottleneck here could be the fact that the trading software might still be keeping its data somewhere on your hard drive. For the best course of action, you may wish to contact the vendor of your trading software and ask them where it keeps its data and caches, and see if those could be moved to the RAM disk too.
How to decrease the size of a RAM disk with an image 22 July 2022, 10:26
If I'm correct on this principle, with a persistent RAM disk that is larger than I need, I could downsize it by following similar steps to those outlined here for increasing the size. Yes?
Re: How to decrease the size of a RAM disk with an image 22 July 2022, 10:44
Registered: 10 years ago
The two things to keep in mind:
- Make sure that you have enough available RAM for your RAM disk. E.g. before creating a 1000MB image, ensure that you definitely have 1000MB of guaranteed free memory.
- Always carefully follow the create-mount-copy-unmount-edit-reboot sequence of actions that was described above.
You may also like to have a look at these two pages in the RAM disk manual for more detailed information: Image files and Adding a disk.
Re: How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 24 July 2022, 21:40
If, just like Dan, "I install these programs completely into the RAM disk," not so much because "it allows them to run very very fast", but in order to reduce SSD wear, would the creation of a persistent RAM disk with its associated image file defeat this purpose?
Re: How to increase the size of a RAM disk with an image 24 July 2022, 21:59
Registered: 18 years ago
Posts: 3 499
For example, if you install an app on your SSD once, from that time on it is only read, but not written. You can open the app many times, but no writing occurs, so your SSD doesn't wear out.
Similarly, if you install an app on an image-based RAM disk, writing will only happen once, during the installation and initial setup. From that time on, the image will be read, but not written, as the installed app does not change. Unless of course that app gets updated very frequently.
It's the frequent writing to SSD that wears it out (temporary files, frequently-updated data, intermediate output, etc), but for apps that are only updated from time to time, it doesn't make a big difference. Surely, they will start a bit faster from a RAM disk than an SSD, but there is no difference in regard to disk degradation.